free website stats program 05 flht rear fender removal | Harley Davidson Forums

05 flht rear fender removal

texasteve

What is the best way to remove the rear fender (get to the bolt at the front of the rear fender)? Do I have to pull the rear tire?

Yes, that is the easiest way. It's much easier getting the tire out of the way so you have room to work.

Just measure the swing arm pivot to rear axle alignment or mark the current settings with finger nail polish to ensure getting everything back together correctly. Also note where the axle spacers and other hardware is laid out (use a digital camera and label everything) as they come off. The more homework you do up front...the easier it is to put everything back together when buttoning up the job.

Will do, been down that road before. I was hoping I didn't have to pull the wheel. Thought there may be another trick. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't really want to pull the wheel but....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Didn't really want to pull the wheel but....

Steve; I just finished removing the rear wheel on my '07 flhtc (tire time). The rear fender bolt is a #40 torx. I checked, and none of my torx bits are short enough to go in with the tire on, let alone my hand. The hardest thing about removing r.wheel is jockying the rear caliper off it's mount so wheel can drop. Like said above, mark everything before removing to aid in correct alignment.

Back