free website stats program 05 883 very bad engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

05 883 very bad engine noise

cruiseboy

i have and 05 883 that was converted to a 1200 before it left the dealer. I now have 20000 on the bike and all of a sudden O have some major engine noises. iIbrough it to the HD dealer and the replaced the valve train including lifters and the oil pump which was all trashed. I saw the parts myself. After $2000 it still makes the same noise. I have tried to locate the noise with every tool known to man but just cannot seam to locate it. It sounds like bad lifters but louder. It over takes the very loud exhaust. Anybody have a clue???

Welcome to HDTimeline, sorry the circumstances are so tenuous right now. You will find a lot of posters who will try to help you soon. We will need a little background as to the circumstances prior to you having problems. Did it occur after you were on a long trip after the conversion, or had some recent routine service done? Anything you can add will help.

All I can say is WOW, if HD dealer had to replace trashed lifter and OIL PUMP, they are not troubleshooting, just fixing what is "broken". Maybe they did not clean out all the debris left in the oil galleries, lurking in the nooks and crannys under the rocker covers and crankcase, so there may be another problem waiting to occur or reoccur if they did not find the root cause.

I would seriously look into inspecting the "bowels of the engine", pull the rocker covers, disect your oil filter and look at the crankcase drainings immediately. You know something is amiss, do not ride the bike anymore until you find it. Just throwing money at it by cleaning up evidence of something wrong, or just the failed parts as a consequence of some unknown root cause, is not troubleshooting in my book.

the can hear the noise but can not tell me what it is. I have been my rounds with the dealer and have never been so let down. I am very frustrated. Do you guys think I should just bit the bullet and tear the engine down? It is without a doubt an engine noise.

PS They told me it was ok to ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think NOT!

I would start with a call to HD headquarters (customer relations) and explain that you paid good money to have a problem fixed and the dealer took the money and the noise is still in the engine. Either a refund or a proper fix is in order.
This is why the dealers are the way they are, because they can get away with things after taking your money.

Customer Service - Harley Davidson Community

Well gentlemen, I found the problem. While the bike was at HD I had asked them to install a new primary cover and cam cover that I had bought from a well recomended paint and finish company.
I drained the oil to start the tear down as well as looking for evidence of damage. I found a uniform grit (alot) in the drained oil. It was a glass like bead that a finish company would use to prep a cam and primary cover for fresh paint. After further parts removal I exposed the cam bushings in the back side of the cover that were literally packed with glass beads. So that explains my trouble that I am having now. But the original problem I can not figure out. I will be talking to the dealer to find out the sequence of repairs and what they may think. I am sorry for pointing the finger at them although they did install a defective part that was obvious with the human eye.
So needless to say I am now the owner of a 2005 sporster worth 3 to 5 grand in running order. Now worth a 1000 and needs 4000 + to repair. Thank you finish company. With a crank pistons and everything internal as well as a block and some machine work and alotof labor I will be back on the open highway with only a slight bit of bitterness and self hate.

But the primary side is fine and looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, CB...sorry I was right but was hoping I would be wrong...anyways, you found the problem...did like your positive outlook at the end....it will serve you well, just be patient and good things will come out of this.

I would contact the finishing company and tell them the story and when they tell you it isn't their fault, contact your state attorney general for help to cover the costs in rebuilding.

Back