free website stats program 05 1200R - Idling Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

05 1200R - Idling Problem

I figured maybe it needed gas, but it only took 2.1 gal (3.5 tank). But it did run fine for another 57 miles over another day and a half (18 miles to work)

You probably hit the reserve mark. Did you move the petcock to reserve when it died to get it to start again?

Thank you to all that have commented.
My problems have been solved. My bike is idling at around 1000 and no gas problems. :)

Good to know that everything is working as it should however I would like to know what the cause of the issue was and what was done to fix it as the info may be of use to other members at a later date

Brian

Good to know that everything is working as it should however I would like to know what the cause of the issue was and what was done to fix it as the info may be of use to other members at a later date

Brian

Hi; No problem.

Idle problem; Yes it was idling too high. I took it to the dealer (because I just bought the bike there) who agreed the idle is too high and adjusted the idle by adjusting the idle via the long rod (cable) with a button size cross top end jutting out of the bottom of the carb. Closed it, (while warm), then backed it out till the RPMs where just over 1000 (1050..). This also fixed the heavy gas smell and the gas mileage..a bit.

Died on the side of the rode: I was running out of gas, and forgot about the reserve tank. I mainly attribute this to 20 years off a bike and 'getting older age...

Hope this helps.:bigsmiley23:

Thanks for the response it is always good to get full details of what has been done
Now you should need some choke when cold if you have difficulty cold starting snapping the throttle open and closed a few times will cause the accelerator pump to squirt some extra fuel down the throat of the carb and so aid starting

Brian

Thanks for the response it is always good to get full details of what has been done
Now you should need some choke when cold if you have difficulty cold starting snapping the throttle open and closed a few times will cause the accelerator pump to squirt some extra fuel down the throat of the carb and so aid starting

Brian

Thank you. I have started using the choke every time I start her when she's cold and it always starts right up. I am using the "if I can't keep my fingers on the rocker box, it's warmed up" rule and she has been running great. I really appreciate this forum and all the help. I received.

I think I may have a similar issue with the idle. I don't know for sure though because I dont have a TACH, just a speedo. Mine is an 06 with a 4.5 gallon tank. So then I guess my next mission is to find out how to gauge RPMs to adjust idle. Because I also get that strong gas odor. I have to leave my bike outside for about an hour before I bring it into my garage, otherwise it stinks up my whole house.

Nikko,
If you have a smart phone there are apps that can give you rpm readings by listening to the exhaust noise... You tell it how many cylinders you have running and it gives you the rpm.

They can be a bit finicky as to how far you need to place the phone for the correct volume etc, but do work. They are also free... At least for Android phones.

Back