free website stats program 05 1200R - Idling Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

05 1200R - Idling Problem

Hobbs770

Hi All,
I just got a new/old Sportster 1200R. I has an after market carb (not sure which) and a K&N Air Intake. In addition it's fitted with Vance and Hines shortstops.

1. After warming it up a bit it idles at around 1000 with the choke in (no choke). After I ride it a bit (just a couple of times up and down through the gears) I noticed it was idling at 2000 at traffic lights.

Also, there is strong smell of gas after I turn it off (after a half hour of riding on the freeway or in the city).

Is it supposed to be idling that high? Am I tacking it out? I also noticed the filter where the excess oil from the top of the motor drains out from dripped a bit.
Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.
One more thing, if anyone can tell me how to recognize which Carb I have without me breaking it out I would appreciate it :)

Which of the following looks like your carb?

Door #1 Stock HD CV
bigal66-albums-misc-picture9845-stock_cv_carb_244x300.jpg

Door #2 S&S Super E
bigal66-albums-misc-picture9846-s_s_cycle_super_e_carburetor_assembly.jpg

Door #3 Mikuni HSR
bigal66-albums-misc-picture9847-mikuni_hsr.jpg

The idle adjustment on my Mikuni is a long rod with a quarter sized knob. Handy but a bit sensitive to adjust for all weather conditions.

Your idle is set too fast whatever type of carb you have you should need extra fuel during engine warm supplied by the enricher which is controlled by the choke knob
Once we know what the carb is there will be a member on the forum that will be able to supply you with advise and tuning information

Brian

Door number 3.

I talked to someone yesterday about it and they suggested that I need to choke it in the morning and anytime it's cold like after work too for between 5-10 min until I can't put my finger tips on the rocker box/or heads and leave them there. That's when I know the bike is warmed up properly. I tried it yesterday evening and it seemed to work a bit. In fact I noticed the warmer the bike got, (traffic) the lower the Idle..it got down to 1000 while sitting in traffic..

The idle adjustment on my Mikuni is a long rod with a quarter sized knob. Handy but a bit sensitive to adjust for all weather conditions.

mine is has a cable that comes out the bottom with a screw head on the end the size of a jeans button.
Carb.jpg

Looks like he has the Mikuni carb, but the idle adjustment should be on Right side by throttle cable/flap control. Wait until she's good & warm before you adjust and then keep tweaking/testing until it's set @ ~1K rpm's. There's also a chance you have "gummed" areas around throttle body and hinge points inside. Best to tear-off the a/c, douse with carb cleaner, let dry, start & test operation. After that...add some seaform to the fuel (1oz/gal) and hope she's running better. Good luck!

Looks like he has the Mikuni carb, but the idle adjustment should be on Right side by throttle cable/flap control. Wait until she's good & warm before you adjust and then keep tweaking/testing until it's set @ ~1K rpm's. There's also a chance you have "gummed" areas around throttle body and hinge points inside. Best to tear-off the a/c, douse with carb cleaner, let dry, start & test operation. After that...add some seaform to the fuel (1oz/gal) and hope she's running better. Good luck!

Thanks. To add to all this; it died on the side of the rode on Monday, I waited a minute then it started up and coughed its way the 100 yds or so to the gas station. I figured maybe it needed gas, but it only took 2.1 gal (3.5 tank). But it did run fine for another 57 miles over another day and a half (18 miles to work)

Back