free website stats program 04 softail wont move | Harley Davidson Forums

04 softail wont move

haystack677

Hello I have an o4 softail standard. I needed a new back tire, so I :newsmile055: was trying to burn the old one off, and the bike just stopped trying to move. No clunking or banging, I did notice smoke from the rear of the primary. Just starting to tear it down, is the clutch supposed to be centered in the derby cover hole? It turns and the clutch seems to work, and the bike shifts through the gears, but the wheel don't move much. I have read about older bikes stripping the splines on a pulley behind the primary? What am I getting myself into here...? I have worked alot on cars and quads and what not, I hate to say it but this is the newest bike I've ever owned and the only one I've had to wrench on! Oh well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There is a good possibilty that the clutch has been burnt up. So are you saying with bike running you let out the clutch and bike will not move????

Yes, thats right. I just took the prim. cover off and the clutch looks like it's wobbling. I let out the clutch in gear and it wobbles and don't look like its spinning as fast as it should, and the rear tire moves very little,(jacked up) it lurches a little when you kick it into gear and thats about it. I had to push it back up my driveway.

While you have it jacked up with it in gear can you hold the rear tire and stop it from rotating? If you can do this the front pulley (the one behind the inner primary) may be stripped. With the wobble in the clutch the main shaft from the trans. may be bent. In any case you will need to remove the outer primary and the clutch/primary chain/front comp. and sprocket as a unit. once you have access to the inner primary you will have to unbolt the starter and the bolts in the inner primary to gain access to the trans. drive pulley. You do have a manual right?

No manual yet, workin on it.. If the shaft from tranny is bent I'll need a good service manual for sure.. Yes I can hold the tire with ease. If the clutch is bad, I would have a hard time shifting out of neutral, right? The clutch acts like its working although its hard to tell when the bike wont move. I still have to use the clutch to shift, although it feels a little stiffer, tougher to squeeze than it was before. I know I should wait to work on it until I get the manual but I'm impatient so I'll probably go until I get hung up on something and then be forced to wait for the manual. Anything backwards threaded or any tricks I should know? I'll look around this site too.. thanks for the responses!

I had a problem a lot like yours on my '94FLSTC. I was crossing a RR track and the bike lost power to the rear wheel. It was the trans pulley. Getting to it takes some time but fixing it is pretty stright forward. Get a manual for your year and we will help you fix it and get you back on the road.

Back