free website stats program 04 roadking | Harley Davidson Forums

04 roadking

hi guys new here and hope some one can help.the bike quit charging and i tested everything (volts ohms all connections)per the manual and stator checked out so i got a new voltage regulator and battery.now i still have the same thing. now i will get a .30 volt gain when i rev the bike if i check across the battery terms.so at the battery i get 12.20 volts running and12.50 if i rev it.so i have3 questions
1,i get 11 volts if i test the pins on the vr where the stator plugs in. i did not think the vr would let power out there, is this right?
2, could the stator be puting out the volts and not enought amps?
3,if i test the 2 wires out from the vr ,i only get 3 volts.i would think it should be more as these go to the battery is this right?
thanks for any help guys

Along with what Steve suggested above, start with the basics. Remove and clean BOTH ends of the battery cables. Wire brush both mating surfaces for each connection and resecure. Measure any resistance across the ends of each cable as you turn it over. This will help determine if the cables are shot, but you should also visually inspect the ends under the insulation to see if there is a bunch of corrosion by-products (like white powder) there. Check the other grounds (probably under the seat) to make sure everything is tight. Run through the tests in the link Steve sent you and see what you get. Let us know.

TQ

thanks guys.i did every thing in the test and checked and cleaned all connection. if i test the vr where the stator plugs in i get 11volts on the 2 pins . the new and old vr both test the same way,is it possable the stator buts out enought volts but not enought amps?

Welcome to the forums vinlandviking, sounds like you answered your own question, you replaced the battery and voltage regulator, what's left? The stator, and yes it can put out low voltage, it can stop putting out and then start putting out again. I would pop the inspection cover off and smell, it gets a dead fish or burnt smell when the stator goes, but the way you describe it I'd be picking up a new stator with new mounting bolts and inspect the magnets real good in the rotor while it's off. That is if you checked all your connections good first.

thanks guys.i did every thing in the test and checked and cleaned all connection. if i test the vr where the stator plugs in i get 11volts on the 2 pins . the new and old vr both test the same way,is it possable the stator buts out enought volts but not enought amps?

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying above:

If you unplug the STATOR plug from the VR plug, and then measure the dc voltage from both side (one at a time) of the the VR plug to ground, you get 11 Vdc? If that is true, you are getting ALOT of bleed-back through the VR. It is toast.

or

If you unplug the STATOR plug from the VR plug and then measure the ac voltage across the STATOR side plug and you are getting 11 Vac at idle, that is a bit low (depending on your idle). Should be getting 16-20 Vac per 1,000 rpm of engine speed. Increase the engine speed with the throttle and see if the Vac increases. At 2,000 rpm you should have 35-40 Vac. If not, the STATOR is toast. If you are getting that voltage, the STATOR still may be toast - open the derby cover and do the sniff test. If it smells burned, the STATOR is toast!

TQ

thanks for the relpys
tquentinl, on the vr where the stator plugs in there are 2 pins ,see attchment(46a) if i ground ether i get 11 vdc .its a new right out of the box hd vr not on the bike more than 5 mins when i checked it. my luck i got a bad vr from hd.i popped the inspection cover off and it smelled fine, oil looked good to.if i check the dcv at (77b) to ground i get 3 vdc. im going to pull every thing off and look at the stator and rotor this weekend.
thanks guys

Attachments

• charging.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 6
thanks for the relpys
tquentinl, on the vr where the stator plugs in there are 2 pins ,see attchment(46a) if i ground ether i get 11 vdc .its a new right out of the box hd vr not on the bike more than 5 mins when i checked it. my luck i got a bad vr from hd.i popped the inspection cover off and it smelled fine, oil looked good to.if i check the dcv at (77b) to ground i get 3 vdc. im going to pull every thing off and look at the stator and rotor this weekend.
thanks guys

OK. Using your schematic nomenclature, if you measure the voltage between each pin on 46A and ground and get 11 Vdc, the VR is toast. This is called a bleed-back test and you should NOT have anything coming back through the VR. The fact that you only have 3 Vdc at 77B indicates that the VR is not putting out enough to keep the battery charged.

Measuring ACROSS the pins (A to B) on 46B with the DVOM set on at least the 100Vac setting should show you the 16-20 Vac per 1,000 rpm engine speed. If you are getting this, AND you do not have a burnt smell from the inside of the primary would make me believe that the STATOR was OK.

Based on what you have described, I would suspect the VR.

TQ

thanks tQ.yes i get 11vdc on the bleed back test.i have a brand new vr on it the bike and it has not ran more than 20mins total with it on.i need to see if hd will take it back,i dont think they take electrical parts back,
thanks for the welcomes and help guys

thanks tQ.yes i get 11vdc on the bleed back test.i have a brand new vr on it the bike and it has not ran more than 20mins total with it on.i need to see if hd will take it back,i dont think they take electrical parts back,
thanks for the welcomes and help guys

I think you are probably right about the HD Dealership not taking electrical parts back. But talk directly to the Parts Manager from the beginning. Do not go to the Parts guy, who will then go to the Parts Manager, get the "no" answer and tell you "no". That way when you ask for the Part Manager after all that, he will have to say "no" to show his guys that they do not cave into the customer (remember the old expression "the customer is always right?" not at most of the HD Dealerships I have been to).

So talking directly to the Parts Manager explain what you did (remove old VR, install new VR, measure bleed-back) and see if you can convince him to exchange the VR. You do NOT want money back, you want your bike running.

Good luck.

TQ

Back