free website stats program 04 Roadking Exhaust Popping | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Roadking Exhaust Popping

nitronut

I am working on an 04 Roadking with a cv carb. It pops through the exhaust when you let off of the throttle. I replaced intake seals and exhaust gaskets. It has the factory head pipes with straight through pipes. the end pipes are 2 1/4". Anyone have any ideas on this. I checked the plugs and it looks to be jetted right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I didnt know if having the factory head pipes with the rear crossover and a straight through pipe on the rear would make this have this problem.

Are you sure the exhaust is sealed up tight? You can out a rag over the tail pipes briefly and listen for leaks. A lean condition will cause the popping if the pipes are sealed good. Having said that, the open pipes without baffles may be impossible to eliminate all popping.
Welcome to the forum by the way and congrats on your first post after being a member for nine months.

Typically popping in the exhaust is a lean condition, If you have NO baffles in the exhaust this will make it worse, you may check for leaks first as Bodeen suggested, and add baffles for some back pressure, this will give you better throttle response also JMO from years of playing with drag pipes and Fishtail drags on Baggers, I learned to make my own exhaust splitters for back pressure and to tame the noise down some, it gave better throttle and gave me back my low end torque

Back