free website stats program 04 night train, cuts out and dies | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

04 night train, cuts out and dies

Check the plug wires and coil, see if there is corrosion in the coil towers, it happens and will cause a problem like this

Last weekend checked for intake leaks, none found. Had the bike hooked up to a scanalizer today and the TPS checks out. The ETS would jump to 3.7 v at about 140 - 160 degrees, so we replaced the TPS, new part same report so we tried a known good sensor from another bike, same thing. Ohmed out the wires TPS connector to ECM connector, checked for breaks, looks good. Thinking its the ECM.

Checked for intake leaks, looks good. The ETP tested out ok by boiling water and ohm it out as it cooled. Hooked the bike up to a scanner today and the TPS checks out, the ETP would spike up to 3.7 v once the temp got to about 140-150 degrees. changed out sensor same thing, tried another sensor same issue. ohmed out wires from ETP connector to ECM connector, checks out ok. thinking its the ECM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ETS would jump to 3.7 v at about 140 - 160 degrees, so we replaced the TPS, new part same report so we tried a known good sensor from another bike, same thing.

the ETP would spike up to 3.7 v once the temp got to about 140-150 degrees.

Be careful because that may be normal. Between 105F and 122F the ECM changes scaling. Voltages will shift scales in that range. That may be what your seeing.

I know you said you changed the fuel pressure regulator and filter but before I changed an ECM I would measure the fuel pump pressure with a gauge.

Yes, the chances it's a fault of the ECM are always possible but it has got to be very slim. I would have to rule out fuel pressure before I started changing anything.

That engine chart may be correct for your year bike but mine is different. My chart for a 2009 is 2.1 volts for a temp of 194*F. That is more in line with what you are reading.

My temp sensor part# is 32446-99

Think I'd replace the crank position sensor. I hear sometimes they test good but get intermittant when hot. We had this happen with an older bike and a cam position sensor.
Good Luck......Pete

Thought I would report the fix. The engine temp circuit on the ECM was bad, replaced the ECM and the problem is gone. Bought the the master tune TTS instead of the Harley stage one down load and the bike runs better then it has in 6 years. still reading the manual to figure out how to store info while riding to make adjustments to the map.

Back