free website stats program 04 Fatboy Starter Prob | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Fatboy Starter Prob

My starter engages but will not start the bike. What I mean is I push the start button and can hear it click but it does not turn. It seems to have a dead spot in it. After I push start it, it starts a few times then does the same thing.... HELP

Any thoughts??
Oh My HEAD HURTS

Last edited:
Like Glider usually says, check your battery connections to make sure they are clean and tight. When you push the start button, it hammers the battery for current, so your connections have to be good. Then check your connections to the starter and the negative ground. After that, check your other grounds. More than these easy ones, check here:

Starter Trouble Shooting - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
A-OK TQ:s

The battery terminal connections are the biggest single source of problems especially on the newer bikes. Clean and tight is the only way to go here.

I had the same problem on my Fatboy. your starter clutch crapped out. The part goes for about 120 at the dealer but I found a bike shop by my house that had one for 70 bucks. In order to replace it you must remove the primary cover and the shaft and sprocket that connect the starter to the fly wheel. then remove the starter from the right side of the bike.

It's not a 4 year old battery is it? if it is I would at least get it tested and maybe replace it before you start pulling your starter out.

yep! oil tank and attached metal hoses that connect to the engine too! I removed the pipes too. there is a plastic cover on the inside of the rear wheel that you have to remove to get to the oil tank bolts. Im guessing you check that your batt is good. and from your description, sounds like the exact same thing I was going thru.

If you are gonna do this yourself let me know and Ill try to post up all the steps or an idea of what I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back