free website stats program 04 Dyna Ignition Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Dyna Ignition Problems

CHCS-Wrch

Hey folks, in a jam here and need another set of "eyes".

I've got an '04 Fuel Injected Dyna Glide with no spark at the plugs. The bike was having a hard time starting and the owner replaced the Battery and Starter. I've connected to the ECM, (with the Daytona Twin Scan tool) and there aren't any trouble codes. I've read through the "tips" and have tested the following items:
Crank Positon Sensor - 5vac while cranking
Coil - resistance checks are normal
Fuses - tested and cleaned
Electrical Connectors - inspected and cleaned
ECM - cleaned and tested ground
new Starter Relay
new System Relay

I did notice the ECM and Fuel Pump seem to power down when trying to start the engine. Suspecting faulty Battery cables I checked these and replaced one of the ends that was getting hot, didn't help. I tried powering the "electrics" seperate from the starter, still the same thing. Once in a while I can get a "spark" after releasing the starter button.

A kick in the right direction would be appreciated.

You checked the 5 V while cranking at the Crank Positon Sensor but how about testing the other side of that circuit to see if it is making and breaking (pulsing) while cranking.

Also a hot terminal on the cable is resistance but you changed that.

Battery fully charged? Low battery voltage will not trigger spark .

All I checked on the Crank Sensor was the output. I looked through the "tips" section and saw the testing procedure, but this unit only has 2 wires coming out of it. I checked the sensor where it plugs into the wiring harness under the oil filter.
I'll look again and make sure I tested the correct module.

Yes, the battery is fully charged. I've used 2 batteries with seperate connections, (1 for the starter, 1 for the electrics). The ECM and the Fuel Pump still shut off when I pushed the start button.

I plan on trying to by-pass the handlebar start button just for giggles. Haven't tried "bump" starting, but will when I get the fuse panel and all wiring back together.

Missing Password?????????? Maybe your Daytona Twin Scan tool is not reading the code????????????? Is your engine light showing a historic code?????????????
If you have a no start condition on your motorcycle with Delphi fuel injection.
This problem occurs one time and does not return, so it is difficult to diagnose. When the condition occurs, a P1010 code - missing password, is normally set. There have been a few reports of a P1009 code - incorrect password also. It appears the turn signal module did not get a complete message from the ecm at ignition ON so the engine starts and stalls or cranks but will not start. Try removing the ecm and security fuses, wait ten minutes and reinstall the fuses. This "reboots" the turn signal module and the motorcycle will then start from that point on. I have seen this problem on only three touring models over the years, but could happen on a Dyna, might be worth a check?

It is possible that the tool doesn't see the code, but I've never had this happen before. It shows the ECM and all the modules, (part numbers and versions). It'll show all errors if I disconnect a module and then turn the key on.

Have tried removing the fuse, (40a), waiting 10 minutes and then starting again. I also tried reading the codes from using the "on / off / on / off / on TS" method, nothing comes up.
I thought about the security system shutting it down but the owner says he didn't get the security system when he purchased the bike, (he is original owner). Turning the key on lights the "security key" in the speedo for a second or two and then goes out. All lights and TS function properly.

The main fuse still leaves power to the ECM I think, I would try disconnecting the battery for ten min. to reboot everything if you have not so all ready. When you checked for spark did you leave both spark plugs in cylinders (to keep compression) and use a spark tester or a third plug? If it fired before the owner installed the new starter & battery I would check for ay pinched wires or opens around the area the owner was working. If it's a sensor at fualt I would expect to see a code

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I've pulled the 15a fuse for the ECM also.
Actually, I disconnected the battery, pulled all the fuses, tested them, cleaned the connections, added a little dielectric grease and re-installed them.

Still pulling my hair out....

All I checked on the Crank Sensor was the output.

Did you get a constant 5V output or pulsing output?

If constant output, you may want to try a new crank sensor.

You didn't mention is this was a no start or a hard starting condition.

It's time to finalize....If all the wirings intact you have to replace the magic boxes...before I did that, I would direct power (jump) to the coil (pri side) .....grd out and read the sec voltage....if needed, jump out your starter to rotate engine...

Back