free website stats program 04 Dyna-HELP, please-carb fouling one plug | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Dyna-HELP, please-carb fouling one plug

grizz

If anyone can help, would be very much appreciated. Fall-put in Stabil, took carb. off., cleaned jets.
Have Vance/H Shortshots. Went to 195 high, 46 low speed jet. Ran great, until Spring put-together.
Now with EZ air mixture screw out 1-2.5 turns (makes little diff.) forward cylinder plug fouls black immediately. Back cylinder plug o.k.
Onlt 5000 miles. Coil????
And does anyone know factory setting on air mixture screw??

BAFFLED--Please, if you have an idea---Many Thanks-=-Griz

The mixture screw should be adjusted with the bike at operating temps. Open the screw to get the highest and steadiest idle, then close it just slightly to the lean side less than 1/8 turn in.
A 195 is a bit on the rich side for that bike for openers.
Is the plug fuel fouled or oil fouled?
Have you checked the plug wire or replaced the plugs to see the results for that cylinder?

Here's a quick test that will tell you if you have to fat of a jet in the top end....
Run the bike through the gears into third gear and run third up to 60-70 MPH full throttle, then chop the throttle about 1/8 to 1/4 back and see if the bike either surges ahead or stumbles then recovers.

If it surges ahead, your jetting is lean
If it stumbles and recovers , your jetting is rich
If it makes no difference, you're pretty close.

new plugs --from Harley.With 195 high, ran great. Harley advised this because running pretty close to straights.

In fact ALL great until stored for winter, removed carb. & cleaned jets. Put back on this Spring-now wish never would have removed/cleaned carb.

All put back together correctly far as I know.

Front plug is very black/sooty-like oil fouled, while rear plug is fine.
Makes me wonder if weak spark to front plug???

THANKS!!!!!

Do you know factory setting for air mixture screw???
Adjusted, but did not seat first to know how many turns out. New EZ screw.

Thanks!

Are you running a jet kit or stock stuff?If it's stock I'd run the DynoJet kit.What air cleaner?Details please.From what you've said (no difference on screw setting) you've got too much pilot jet.I usually run a 45 pilot even with the DynoJet kit with the screw at 2 5/8 turns from lightly seated.

new plugs --from Harley.With 195 high, ran great. Harley advised this because running pretty close to straights.

In fact ALL great until stored for winter, removed carb. & cleaned jets. Put back on this Spring-now wish never would have removed/cleaned carb.

All put back together correctly far as I know.

Front plug is very black/sooty-like oil fouled, while rear plug is fine.
Makes me wonder if weak spark to front plug???

THANKS!!!!!

Do a compression test at this point to see a comparison of the two readings.

Back