free website stats program 04 Classic, no speedo or tach | Harley Davidson Forums

04 Classic, no speedo or tach

Buster

I've done several searches but haven't found any type of answer for this repair. Security light on with no security system on the bike. No speedo or tach but both will sweep in test mode. Initially I got a U-1255, U-1016, U-1064. Cleared codes and only the U-1255 came back. Replaced the VSS but thought about it afterwards that that shouldn't effect the tach. All fuses good and power on the 2 different terminals that have any common relationship to the units. If the signal to the tach comes from the crank sensor can I test its frequancy reading with a multimeter? Also if there was a problem with the crank sensor, wouldn't that effect starting? I'm tending to look at the TSM unit but don't want to replace a good part until I know for sure. HELP.

Buster

Found it, for anybody that comes up with this problem, look at the LtGrn/V wire just forward of the gas tank. Two signal wires come together into one that goes to a connector on the right side of the fairing. Just above the 2 to 1 splice, the wire was broken.

Gotta love those "electrical demons" - they're a bugger sometimes. Way to be persistent & shoot it down so others will possibly benefit from your failure/findings. Great job!

Back