free website stats program 04 1200XLC can't find neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

04 1200XLC can't find neutral

tomjetty

I rarely post anything because I just don't have much to say, but I do enjoy the information passed around. Now that I have a problem I guess it's time to get humble and ask for help.

I allow my wife use of my 04 Sporty & she abused the clutch. I drained the fluid (AMSOIL 20w50) which was brown, and replaced with the same. She developed a problem shifting which was fixed with a clutch adjustment. Now she can't find neutral from first. Any ideas??

Usually not finding neutral is a clutch adjustment .. how much did she abuse the clutch lot of slipping and such ?

She ran up the RPM's then slowly released the clutch. Although I cringed & explained that it is not any different then a car she kept it up. This year she's riding normal??? It don't slip on me now just can't find "N" if I shut it no problem. Tom

try clutch adj again thats what it sounds like make sure its stone cold when you do it

She ran up the RPM's then slowly released the clutch. Tom

Doing that to a wet clutch really is not that bad. Now if it was a cage with a normal dry clutch, then yes it's something you want to avoid. I also have a metric bike I run around town with and beat the clutch to death and nothing has change (free play, grip, feel etc) since I bought it a couple of years back..

Finding neutral is easier if you have forward or back tension on the gears minimized, the clutch adjusted for 1/8" or less cold, and proper gear oil in the primary/clutch area. Many use quality gear oil like Fomula Plus or a good MA rated motorcycle oil to keep oil wetted clutch in good working order. Of course, if you overfill, the clutch pack may "stick" so finding neutral is a bit tougher as well.

Finally,since shifting is a racheting like affair, just before you come to a stop, a gently downshift from 2nd into neutral is fairly easy (just needs the right touch).

If stopped move the bike forward and back a bit while shifting into neutral to ratchet the shifter (or push down again in case you are in 3rd)...hey sometimes we miss a shift now and then.

On many motorcycles ive ridden it has been hard to find neutral from first in that case i just raise the revs a wee bit and that often helps
if it still wont go out of gear then raise the revs let the clutch out till it gust gets to the point of biting then lightly kick it up takes a wee bit of practise but it does work

Brian

I don't remember if the 04's have an auto chain adjuster on the primary or not. I know my 97 was next to impossible to find N if the Primary chain was not adjusted "just right"

Back