03 Ultra starter relay number

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by DresserDan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. DresserDan

DresserDan Member

Anyone know what the auto parts store number is for 03 Ultra starter relay?

2. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

3. DresserDan

DresserDan Member

I want a auto parts store part number.Would save me a 100 mi trip or wait 5 days. Most of the parts people dont know how to find anything if it isnt listed on the computer.If I have a number it would make it easier.I can remeber seeing guys in parts places that would know exactly what you had or could find it real quick.Not any more.It has to be on the screen.

4. Rubyred

Rubyred Senior Member

Try here, they have starters with part numbers.
    [​IMG]

RareElectrical
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I usually tell them I want a 5 pin fan or horn relay.They just take me to Isle where they are hanging and I get the one I want. Don't know a part #.
    tourbox

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Relay - Starter | AutoZone.com you could start here

7. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I think a 12v relay is a 12v relay as long as the pin # ( pin # means each pin has a number by it, ie, 80/85/86/30) and pattern is the same.
    Auto parts horn relays are about $6, worth a try.

8. DresserDan

DresserDan Member

Harley says it has a diode and is 15 amp.I am just trying to make it easy so I dont have to tell the parts guy where to go.Most of these auto parts guys dont know dit and if they cant look up what it fits they have no idea what to do.I have had guys that you could show them the part and they still cant find you a part.Relays are really bad trying to find one without knowing what it fits.

9. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Not trying to confuse the issue but,

Go to the J&P catalog link below. Enter page 250. (Actual page in catalog shown will be 248) At the bottom of the page you will see item 380-777.
    It says Starter relay with diode.

The diode is the key. Whatever relay you choose to use is fine as long as it has the diode. Most relays don't come with a diode. The diode is needed to clamp the PIV voltage that is generate by the relay itself when the relay releases. Since this relay is activated (or picked) by the TSSM (which is a solid state device) it is important to have the internal diode.

A diode is not needed on pre-ECM/TSSM bikes.

J Catalog

10. DresserDan

DresserDan Member

Is there any way to tell if a relay has a diode by looking at it?