free website stats program 03 Ultra rear brake disc warped | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Ultra rear brake disc warped

Jaguar F822

Hi All,

Braking at higher speeds doesn't seem to be an issue (or am I fooling myself?) but applying the rear brake at lower speeds, especially right before coming to a stop results in a rather severe pulsating feeling.

From what I've read I most likely have a warped rotor, which I want to replace ASAP.

I am a pretty handy guy and have all the basic tools, and don't mind investing in some others, but I have no experience with working on my 03 Ultra Classic as far as brakes go.

1) Does it require any special tools?
2) Is it a job I can do myself, or do you recommend leaving it to the professionals.
3) If I have this done at the Dealer; What is a ballpark figure I can expect to pay?

Appreciate your thoughts!

First do you have a manual for your year bike? If you do there is not much to changing a rotor. You will need to get the bike off the ground and remove the rear wheel.

The hardest part of the job will be removing the bolts that mount the rotor to the hub. You should also have a torque wrench available for torquing the rotor down. Recommended to replace the bolts.
Ken

The hardest part of the job will be removing the bolts that mount the rotor to the hub. You should also have a torque wrench available for torquing the rotor down. Recommended to replace the bolts.
Ken

If you use the old bolts clean well and lock-tite. Torque to specs.

Thanks for the tips sofar!

Yes, I can swing a wrench, read, and own a 1273 page pdf manual. Maybe a tip for others: Tradebit sells a downloadable version for $ 7.95.

I do not have a lift though, which worries me a bit, as I think there is probably no safe alternative?

Ken already made a suggestion for my first trip to a toolstore: Torque wrench; always wanted one :s.

After replacing the disc (why is it not called a rotor on a motorcycle?) do I have to worry about alignment issues?

You can call it a brake rotor or a brake disc, both are acceptable. You have to line the mounting holes to the hole on the hub, they are spaced a bit off from center
Ken

Brake disc on this side of the pond whether on a car truck or bike
I am pretty sure that you should replace all the mounting bolts when a brake disc is removed and then refitted as they can get hot and are placed under a lot of strain when in use blue loctite should be used to ensure the bolts do not come out again
Biggest problem you will have is getting the wheel off without a lift

Brian

Back