free website stats program 03 ultra charging problem | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 ultra charging problem

And that boys and girls is what makes HDT the best place on the net. :ap to all the contributors that helped get it sorted out. And hats off to you as well Marcus for posting pics of the fried stator and how you fixed it. Job well done all :D
WAP.gif

I need help please!!

This summer I had an electrical gremlins attack. A 40 year certified Harley Davidson mechanic is working on the bike.
Starting this year:
Over the winter the original battery was replaced with HD.
May- the crankcase position sensor went bad (replaced)
When I picked up the bike and during a short ride the "low Battery light" and engine light came on and off in about 2 minute increments until I got it home.
Mechanic replaced stator/regulator and checked all grounds. Voltage checks were good. Putting out 12.8 at idle and 14.4 at rpm.
I picked the bike up and had ridden about 40 minutes when the lights came back on.
Returned bike to mechanic and he said regulator was toasted. He put new stator, new regulator and replaced the battery with a new battery as it wouldn't accept a charge past 11 volts. He thought the battery was the original issue at this time.
Picked bike up and rode about 45 minutes when the lights came on again. Regulator was cold to the touch when I made it home indicating it was fried again.
I'm open to any ideas....please

I need help please!!

This summer I had an electrical gremlins attack. A 40 year certified Harley Davidson mechanic is working on the bike.
Starting this year:
Over the winter the original battery was replaced with HD.
May- the crankcase position sensor went bad (replaced)
When I picked up the bike and during a short ride the "low Battery light" and engine light came on and off in about 2 minute increments until I got it home.
Mechanic replaced stator/regulator and checked all grounds. Voltage checks were good. Putting out 12.8 at idle and 14.4 at rpm.
I picked the bike up and had ridden about 40 minutes when the lights came back on.
Returned bike to mechanic and he said regulator was toasted. He put new stator, new regulator and replaced the battery with a new battery as it wouldn't accept a charge past 11 volts. He thought the battery was the original issue at this time.
Picked bike up and rode about 45 minutes when the lights came on again. Regulator was cold to the touch when I made it home indicating it was fried again.

Harley Davidson Forums Have a look here so you can zero in on what component is the problem, IMO 12.8vols @ idle is leading you back to a regulator issue that is .1 volts above fully charged battery voltage, this will NEVER keep a battery fully charged

I need help please!!

It would help to know if you also have a 2003 or are you needing help on the bike in your avatar. The charging systems are not the same.
Also, why build a new problem to an old 4 page post? If your issue is not a one line quick fix, it becomes murder to follow the thread.

Back