free website stats program 03 Sportster losing spark | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Sportster losing spark

Mark the exact position of the backplate to the main body prior to removing the fasteners
It has been a while since i last had that bit of my sportster in bits but the wires go as i remember through the gear case and out on the dry side but you need to remove the front pulley cover to see the wires that are behind the gear case cover extension
if you are going to remove the gear case you will need to strip out the rocker boxes and pull the push rods to take the pressure off the cams
some of the cams may fallout of their seats and the cams will all need to be lined up correctly so a manual will be required so pulling the gear case cover is not a great idea

Brian

Last edited:
hello,
I didnt pull the wires all the way up yet,
the problem is right where they are glued into the module
if i put a little pressure on it their when bike is running it quits
let off pressure starts up
what do u all think
the module might need replacement?
i dont see any way to repair wires up their
thank you

If it were me in your place i would replace the module as it is going to completely fail just when you really need it to work

Brian

Brian, lordharold, Jack
thanks for your help here been trying to figure this out for awhile now
at least i know where the problem is finally.

i do not know the rules of the site here,
is it ok to ask where the best place to buy the module from that isnt HD?
thank you
Dana

Brian,
I totally agree, when the bike started acting up, I had to get a tow truck to get it home,
it was not the best day for me.
I would like to know its fixed when I leave again.
thank you
Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to get it aftermarket through Drag Specialties or Tucker Rocky
One of them does sell Cam Sensor Plates, but don't know if they will fit your year & model. There are also other after market set ups to replace it. Dyna has a system because I run it on my Hard Tail(Evo). Other that HD is your place, depending on your location.

On a quick check this is what i found for part description and part number

IGNITION MODULE, integrated sensor Part No: 32466-98B

That is the hd part number and description that may help with your search for aftermarket parts
My own sportster has a trigger assembly under that cover with the ignition module behind the triangular cover to the rear of the battery looking at the part number it was first used in 98 so may be described as fit 98 to 2003 sportster the 1200 sportster has a different part number so take care when looking for parts that they do fit your particular bike

Brian

Back