free website stats program 03 sportster ignition module | Harley Davidson Forums

03 sportster ignition module

papadon

Ok just curious here, given the problem of high heat at the ignition module location, and frequent of them failing due to the heat, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to relocate the module to a cooler location on the bike. 03 sportster xl1200c. Like some where near the battery away from the heat? The module that is in the cover cone right side of bike, is the one I'm asking about.

It might be possible but would not be easy as earlier models had a trigger assembly under the cover in the nose cone and the ignition module was housed under the triangle cover to the rear of the battery however to go back to that setup may require a new wiring harness for the bike I am not sure what it would take
the 94 model sportster still had ignition module behind the battery but the wiring switches etc changed in 96 that may be when the ignition module was moved to the nose cone

Brian

Need some expert advice

Ok lets start off with the bike I'm going to ask about; 2003 Harley sportster xl 1200c , the problem I am having is after the bike is warmed up, and have road from 40 -60 miles it will sputter and die, then I have to wait about 30minutes before it will start and run again. After the restart I can go anywhere between 12 to 30 miles and it will do it again. I have checked all of the electrical connections and the battery,nothing loose and battery checks good. Was told it could be the ignition module so pulled off the cover and looked at the module, no sign of heat damage or cracks, looks like it is new off the shelf, is there something else that could be causing my problem I am new to bikes and don't know a lot. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need some expert advice

No expert on Sporties but, if the ignition module is failing due to heat. You can buy a can of the spray duster stuff for keyboards and such. Turn the can upside down and it will spray a cold liquid. When bike dies spray module with cold liquid from inverted can. If the bike fires back up, you may have found your problem. You can ttry it multiple times to be sure.

Re: Need some expert advice

Bodeen has you pretty much covered on that. I would also take the cover plate off first so no delay with the spray. Sometimes air going by it with the cover off is enough to keep it cool.
If it doesn't die with the cover off put it back on to see if it does and then do the spray trick.
tourbox

New question to an old problem

Ok ride a little bike dies wont start until 20-30 min. thought maybe was coil; installed new one didn't help, asked on here if maybe was ignition module, got suggestions for check gas cap; crank position sensor; gas cap good, when bike dies I still have power and spark so I was wondering a friend came over and tried to get the bike to do it for him did not die but spit an sputtered, sprayed some brakeclean around the intake and found it leaking. tore down and gaskets where bad going to replace; now I was wondering if the intake gaskets being bad could or would cause the same problem that I was having all along bike dies and wont start back up till cools down? What ya think any opinions. Thanks ahead of time. Bike is 03 sportster xl 1200c all original no mods.

Re: New question to an old problem

Ok ride a little bike dies wont start until 20-30 min. thought maybe was coil; installed new one didn't help, asked on here if maybe was ignition module, got suggestions for check gas cap; crank position sensor; gas cap good, when bike dies I still have power and spark so I was wondering a friend came over and tried to get the bike to do it for him did not die but spit an sputtered, sprayed some brakeclean around the intake and found it leaking. tore down and gaskets where bad going to replace; now I was wondering if the intake gaskets being bad could or would cause the same problem that I was having all along bike dies and wont start back up till cools down? What ya think any opinions. Thanks ahead of time. Bike is 03 sportster xl 1200c all original no mods.

Spit and sputtering is indicative to a leak at the intake. Replacing the gasket may very well cure your issue.

Re: New question to an old problem

Ive combined the three threads on the same subject/problem to keep the info in one place.

Back