free website stats program 03 Road King Died | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Road King Died

I was riding today had wnet about 60 miles and everything was fine.I took off and went about 1/4 of a mile and my bike just died like it was out of gas...no spittin or coughing just dead. I tried starting it and it just turns over, fuel pumps running when you turn the switch but it isnt getting any spark.My first thought is the coils is this possible or should I check something else? Any info would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance, Joe

sit back take a look around.good people here to give you advice .till then try the self help section good luck this is a nice site

Had an 01' XLC, that displayed similar symptoms. I could ride some days for a full tank of gas with no problems, stop fill it up and then take off again and go a few miles and it would just die. Just like someone turned the key off while you were ridin. I could wait 5-10 min or sometimes more and then it would start right up and go without a problem for hours or sometimes days.

Messed around for a 2 weeks, checked coil, plugs, fuel, everything I could think of. I finally figured out it was connected to temperature and that led me to the ignition module. Changed out the old module for a new and never had the problem again.

When it got hot something in the circuit was opening and shutting the bike down, it would cool and then run just fine.

Not sure if this helps but it may be a similar problem?: I hate electric issues. small3d012:

It can go all at once or it can be intermittent.
Most of the time it will throw a code. If you do not know how to runthe check Self help section explains it you do not need any thing to check them just follow instruction then look up code.

I just went thru this on my 01 RK, somtimes it would die while riding and sometimes it just wouldn't start until it finally stopped firing up all together, I replaced the cks and problem fixes.

I whent out and took it off where it has the allen screw and pulled it out and the other side runs down along the frame and back towards the side cover inside of like a wiring harness.. so does that go clear back there and plug in someplace? And a side not i cleaned the end off real good put it back tightend it down and she started right up so i know what my problem is for sure.

Good call and finding the problem, but replacing the CKP module is only $40 and you do NOT want the problem to crop up again, as Smitty' advice is cetainly the ranking officer in charge here...:s

Back