03 Road King Clutch problem

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by shovelhed, Oct 25, 2011.

1. shovelhed

shovelhed Member

Since I changed my bars and cables I have to constantly adjust my clutch. I have 6000 miles since change. Any thoughts on what could be my problem?

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

What exactly do you mean by "constantly?" Every day? Every thousand miles?

Are you positive you got the correct cables when you changed your bars?

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

What clutch set up do you have and is this chain or belt primary, just too many questions will need more info,, But I would guess wrong length clutch cable

4. shovelhed

shovelhed Member

I got a complete kit 16" bars and all cables. clutch cable is 74". Stock wet clutch and chain primary. need to adjust about every 100 miles.

5. Jack Klarich

Harley Davidson Community try this

6. shovelhed

shovelhed Member

this is how i always adjust my clutch. could i have a problem with balls and inner ramp set up?

7. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Just a quick question. Are you adjusting because of play in the cable or slipping?

8. Jack Klarich

Yes and Yes, Try starting over again with a cold clutch and check your cable swing the bars end for end to see if the cable is binding

9. shovelhed

shovelhed Member

play in cable. after adjustment.clutch engages where it shoud but play in cable gradually changes until clutch engages right off the grip

10. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

I have to agree with Jack. It sounds like your cable is binding in some way. Or it's the way you have it routed. It could be getting bound up, and then when you go to adjust it, the cable relaxes when you loosen it.

Are you adjusting with the handle bars straight or turned to the left/right?