free website stats program 03 Heritage Error Code Help | Harley Davidson Forums

03 Heritage Error Code Help

Stricnine

I have a 2003 Heritage Classic (Carb Bike) that the engine light came on and off a few times Thursday on my 15 mile ride home from work. I viewed the 00-03 HD Code and Activation post and it came back with code 16. I did just as described in the post. Jumped pins 1 and 2 on the data link connector, turned the ignition switch on, the engine light came on for 4 seconds went off and then blinked 6 times quickly, then one blink, a little over a second and then 6 blinks half second apart. Then it started the same code over again with the 6 fast blinks starting.
The post said the code 16 was "16 Current 99 Missing password" . I can't find anything on this error code other than what is stated. It being a carb bike, is there a different process or do the codes mean something different. Just trying to figure out what to do next. It does have an HD garage door opener installed and wasn't sure if this could be the issue.
Thanks for any help with this.

If you were reading the codes from the Self Help I think you miss read. 16 was the item #' It should read as follows, the 99 in that row was the code for Missing password .
Scroll down to item #37 which is "Current 16 Battery voltage low "'
I would check your battery cables & charging system.
tourbox

You are correct. I was misreading it. Thanks for putting me in the right direction. I guess now its time to check the charging system. Thanks again for the help.

Thank you Jack. I have tested most everything from the link you gave me. I took the battery to Advance and had them do a load test and it was good. I started the bike to check charging voltage and it was charging at 14.3 - 14.35. I tested the stator ohms and ground and the stator tested good. I didn't test the output AC as of yet, but it's looking like a bad regulator/rectifier. Thanks again guys for all the help and input with this.

Sorry guys. One more thing. Should I go back with a factory regulator or is there a better aftermarket? Thanks again.

I started going back over everything I have done so far and just don't wont to miss anything or buy something I do not need. I originally thought that reading 14.3 to 14.35v with bike running was a little high but from reading this and other posts, it appears not be. Could the error code I'm getting just be a fluke and just needs to be cleared out

Going back over the post that Jack gave me, on the voltage regulator test, I see that for some models, it should show no voltage and for newer 3 phase it shows voltage. How can I tell which one I have. I tested the regulator and showed 11.2 to 11.23v at each of the three pins.

Testing the stator AC volts while running, it had a little over 16 AC volts at each of the three pins.

Sorry about rambling on. I just don't wont to chance ruining something else or purchasing and item not needed. Thanks again for all the input and help.

I started going back over everything I have done so far and just don't wont to miss anything or buy something I do not need. I originally thought that reading 14.3 to 14.35v with bike running was a little high but from reading this and other posts, it appears not be. Could the error code I'm getting just be a fluke and just needs to be cleared out

Going back over the post that Jack gave me, on the voltage regulator test, I see that for some models, it should show no voltage and for newer 3 phase it shows voltage. How can I tell which one I have. I tested the regulator and showed 11.2 to 11.23v at each of the three pins.

Testing the stator AC volts while running, it had a little over 16 AC volts at each of the three pins.

Sorry about rambling on. I just don't wont to chance ruining something else or purchasing and item not needed. Thanks again for all the input and help.
Look at your stator wires how many are there, 2 or 3 equals same phasing IE 2 is 2 and 3 is 3 phase higher out put alternator Hope this helps

Thanks again for the help Jack.

Anyone know if my issue is a fluke or if there is a problem with the Regulator maybe. Thanks in advance.

Thanks again for the help Jack.

Anyone know if my issue is a fluke or if there is a problem with the Regulator maybe. Thanks in advance.

If your regulator is below 12.7 volts it is failing the bleed test and has a bad diode, you will NEVER keep your battery charged this way, at idle you should see at least 13.5 volts this is above a fully charged battery voltage reading

Back