free website stats program '03 fxdl | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'03 fxdl

I always buy my tyres on line and the supplier i use has always sent me fairly new tyres
I have always done my own tyre fitting on motorcycles although a nearby motorcycle dealer would fit them for me for a small charge
The mechanic there told me that i am the only person he knows that does their own tyres

Brian

Thanks Brian. Back in the olden days when I rode all the time, I changed a few, but then swore off doing it anymore. Now that I'm gonna start riding again all those memories are returning. I'll pay a pro to do it and save myself the stress. Prolly buy from one or the other online Dunlop dealer I've looked at. Less expensive, no sales tax and free shipping....all good things!

Welcome to the Forum! And congrats on your new ride.

I live in Sugar Land, and have a '03 FLHTCUI. I buy my tires from Motorcycle Superstore on phone order. While you are on the phone, they will send someone to the warehouse to let you know the "born on date" for the tires you want to buy. That way you can decide if the age is right. I do not buy tires over a year old when I order them. Today that would be nothing older than "2010" (week twenty of 2010). When the Sales Rep replies with the dates available, you go-no go the order. When I get them, I take the new rubber and the wheels to Cycle Gear for mounting and balance.

On stuff to think about for your bike:
  • Check the cam chain tensioners right away unless you have proof that they have been up-graded
  • Change all the fluids to those recommended in the link below
  • When changing the Primary fluid do the "sniff test" to see if the fluid smells burnt
  • Get a Battery Tender Jr and keep the battery plugged in when not riding
  • Lubricate the neck bearings right away
  • Check the brake pad thickness
  • Bleed front and rear brakes flushing the fluid (check the book but probably DOT 5)
  • Change the front fork oil
  • Inspect the drive belt and adjust tension (slightly loose rather than tight)
  • Change plug wires and plugs
  • Add Seafoam to gas tank for a few tank fulls

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Ride, ride, ride! Congrats again.

TQ

Thanks TQ. Seafoam? Reason? Bike has been well-maintained and mileage is under 8200mi. Should get service manual today from a guy in Waco. Thanks for the advice!

I also buy my tires from Motorcycle Superstore. I didn't know they would check the date code before purchase, but I've never gotten an old tire from them. Fast, free shipping. I get excellent mounting service from a local Honda dealer for $30 something, incl. balance.

I know what Sea Foam is. I've just read of many problems using it has caused, in fuel tanks/systems (car/truck). I'd prolly go with Marvel before the foam had the system needed that...

I prefer the MMO myself. I've used it for many years and it always did what it was supposed to do.

I agree with the use of MMO on a routine basis. I add 2 oz. everytime I fill up the gas tank. But I think the SeaFoam is a bit more aggressive to clean up a system that you do not know the history of. Once a couple of tank fulls of SeaFoam have been run through the engine, I would switch to MMO as a maintenance measure.

Thanks TQ. Seafoam? Reason? Bike has been well-maintained and mileage is under 8200mi. Should get service manual today from a guy in Waco. Thanks for the advice!

Yes. Get the HD Factory Service Manual covering your bike's model and year. It is the best upgrade you will make!

TQ

Manual arrived. If I use my Battery Tender: should I disconnect the + lead or not? I don't have to disconnect anything when using on my car. I might look for another 'quick connect' for the BT to use on the bike.

Back