free website stats program 03 FLHR shift arm on trans.? | Harley Davidson Forums

03 FLHR shift arm on trans.?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
My 03 Road king had its shifter fall apart this weekend. Vibration caused the screw on the front shift arm to loosen and it all fell apart. No big deal, slap it back together and tighten pinch bolt.
The back shift arm that connects to the shaft going into the trans. behind the primary has a fair amount of side-to-side play in it, cauing excessive vibration. Bolt is tight. Anybody have this issue? Bolt worn? shift arm worn? Worse yet shaft going into the trans. worn?
I am checking with you guy's before I go tearing the primary off just to check this. I may run it to its death.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bodeen

It's a common problem on earlier touring bikes, go to the dealership and get a new bolt, remove the old one and torque the new bolt down, I use a long ball allen on a 3/8 drive, this does the trick a lot of times. a certain amount of play is normal.

It's a common problem on earlier touring bikes, go to the dealership and get a new bolt, remove the old one and torque the new bolt down, I use a long ball allen on a 3/8 drive, this does the trick a lot of times. a certain amount of play is normal.

92FLHS and 97 FLHT did this too, I cut an old exhaust valve spring and installed it on the shaft reinstalled the shifter no more vibes

Sometimes it helps to get the longer bolt that will pass through the arm without the shoulder on it and nut the other end with a lock nut.

Thanks for the suggestions guy's. I will find me a new bolt and try that first. I am really not looking forward to removing the primary just to fix this.

Bodeen

Back