free website stats program '03 FLHR Carb model troubleshooting | Harley Davidson Forums

'03 FLHR Carb model troubleshooting

sjr56

Banned
Wanted to know if you can test for codes on a '03 carbed model. Have compression, fuel, but no spark. Changed coil, tried a new CPS and nothing. Thinking it may be the module but don't want to just throw parts at it. Anyone have anything????:newsmile07:

with run switch on push and hold odometer switch and turn ign. switch on, then release odo.switch will put odo. in diag.mode. screen will read psstb push odo switch once will cycle through letters stop on each letter and hold for about five sec and it will pull codes for each system letter.

Thanks, I'll try the odo method and see. The codes the same #'s as an injected bike of same year?

You should be able to pull some codes with this...

Harley Davidson Community

The only thing I got from that was a constant 8flash that just repeated itself forever.

Does the bike have a TSSM or TSM. Do you have 12 volts on the White/Black wire on the coil while cranking. Do you have a solid 1.5 Volts A/C at the output of the crank sensor while cranking.

If the bike has a TSSM or factory security, part of the security is to disable the ignition. Can you enable & disable the security (if you have it) and see that it does enable & disable the ability to also Crank the engine.

"Tried a new crank sensor" meaning the old one is back in the bike?

The bike has TSM.
Put the original CPS back in.
I tried the odometer method and nothig comes up.
I'll check the voltage tests in the morning and let you know.

Thanks

Does the bike have a TSSM or TSM. Do you have 12 volts on the White/Black wire on the coil while cranking. Do you have a solid 1.5 Volts A/C at the output of the crank sensor while cranking.

If the bike has a TSSM or factory security, part of the security is to disable the ignition. Can you enable & disable the security (if you have it) and see that it does enable & disable the ability to also Crank the engine.

Tested output of crank trigger and it reads .8VAC cranking.
There is no wh/bl on coil, however i get 12v on center term and nothing on other two while cranking. Leaning towards ignition module being the culprit, just hate to order one before I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have anything????:newsmile07:

Still nothing. Acts like its out of time but doesn't the CPS signal the ignition on the '03?( no cam position sensor)

but doesn't the CPS signal the ignition on the '03?( no cam position sensor)

Yes it does.
(The posts seem out of order so not sure of sequence of steps)

The crank signal sounds low to me. If you still have the new one, I would install it and leave it there until completing the problem.
If your not TSSM, there is not much to it other than crank trigger to module. Back firing does indicate issue with trigger. (assuming grounds on module are good)

Thanks, The bike is TSM. Tried new Crank Position sensor, coil, even replaced module. Still wont fire up. Have compression, fuel, and spark now but still wont run. About ready to punt. Am I correct as far as no cam sensor?

There is no wh/bl on coil,

It is strange that there is no white/black wire on the coil because that color seems to be the HD universal color for coil positive....But I am not using a 2003 FLHR manual. I do have a 2003 FL.. manual. I can't imagine a FLHR is that much different but maybe it is. Just not sure.

Back