03 Fat Boy brake job

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by 08FatBob, Mar 25, 2008.

1. 08FatBob

08FatBob Member

I'm looking for a good step by step instruction, video or pictures a plus, on how to change the front and rear pads for an 03 Fat Boy. I've done brakes many times on car and light trucks and can't imagine it being an entirely different animal. That said, if the brakes fail on my truck cause I screwed something up, I have some options. Don't think the same can be said if they fail on the bike. Thanks in advance for the advise.

2. 08FatBob

08FatBob Member

I know you'll be a bit disappointed in me Glider, for not checking the forums, but I did look through them, alot. I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for exactly though. If I overlooked something, sorry.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Not at all, we all start somewhere.:s

I would recommend getting the factory manual for openers before even thinking about doing this. Other than that, here's something you may have missed that will give you some understanding of how it comes apart.

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

4. 08FatBob

08FatBob Member

i did miss that and that does help, thanks a bunch. As I suspected, not much different than a car. My guess is the manual's just gonna give specific torque specs for buttoning the thing back up, thanks again.

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

The manual is a good investment in any case but it will give you a few tips too.

6. bikermonkey

bikermonkey Active Member

Right on target Glider, the very first thing I buy with a new bike is the thick service manuel, 70 bucks, ouch, but essential.:bigsmiley12:

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

They should include it in the purchase price of the bike and give one to each customer IMO. Very valuable tool.