free website stats program 02 Softail Oil issue | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Softail Oil issue

imounut

problem... need help!! I attempted to change my oil and emptied the pan but the old oil is still in the resovoir??? Could it be my oil pump? Had some bleeding through the air filter on a ride and oil level appeared high on my dipstick which prompted this oil change. Any advice??

Welcome to the forum. Follow this link and it should give you the info you are looking for. Hopefully you did not remove the plug in the bottom of the engine sump glider refers to in this post.

Harley Davidson Community

Did you drain transmission instead? Check tranny for fluid. The self help is great here with many videos and pictures.
wilks3

Last edited:
problem... need help!! I attempted to change my oil and emptied the pan but the old oil is still in the resovoir??? Could it be my oil pump? Had some bleeding through the air filter on a ride and oil level appeared high on my dipstick which prompted this oil change. Any advice??

Like said above from others... You probably drained the tranny or the primary..

Did you find the engine plug on the frame area on a tube OR down under?

or out on the primary?

Your Too much oil probably comes from filling when cold... On these bikes the level over night or longer drains oil into the engine and YOU need to start it up, let it IDLE (don't Blip the throttle) for a minute BEFORE you really get a good reading of oil cold level,THEN oil should be checked after HOT.. Hot means,Usually after a ride is the best time to check and add oil IF NEEDED never over fill You know why NOW..

Your problem of spitting oil from the air filter is the symptom you described and Too much oil in the tank causes it.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks to all! I did drain the tranny and the Primary but on purpose lol there is a plug down there for the engine oil but its only for the oil in the motor, not the resovoir. I will look for the drain hose for the oil tank when I get home. I think I must have removed the "sump" plug but I think I got it out and back in without doing any harm. My next question is since I removed the oil from the engine, do I need to do anything special to get oil back in there after filling the oil tank or will it drain in there before starting?

I must have removed the "sump" plug but I think I got it out and back in without doing any harm.
Bad move. Some have cracked the cases doing that.

Harley Davidson Community

Nothing special required. You just drained out the oil that was left in the sump. Fill the oil tank and check the level hot after you are done.

Back