free website stats program '02 Road King started backfiring | Harley Davidson Forums

'02 Road King started backfiring

Riding home from work yesterday when I noticed the bike starting to backfire at 55 MPH. About 2 miles rom home it started doing it real bad and I barely got home. The bike is fuel injected and bone stock with 16K miles. Any thoughts?

Riding home from work yesterday when I noticed the bike starting to backfire at 55 MPH. About 2 miles rom home it started doing it real bad and I barely got home. The bike is fuel injected and bone stock with 16K miles. Any thoughts?

How much gas is in the tank? Did you just fill up? What was the last thing that happened before it started acting this way?

TQ

Tank is 3/4 full. Nothing to indicate any problems other than the occasional fuel injector "pop" at start up. Indicates to me something Major happened.

Plug wires appear to be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possible problem with the early 2000's is the wire going to the front injector is sometimes a little too short. Over time the wire will come apart and you loose the front cylinder.

My mechanic told me to check my battery connection. Could be loose terminal causing the backfire. I'll check it when I get home.

My mechanic told me to check my battery connection. Could be loose terminal causing the backfire. I'll check it when I get home.

go ahead and take them off and wire brush-both ends of the cables and battery termn.,wipe off the old "dust" and tighten them back up anyway!

Terminals are good. Plug wires are good. When I turn the kill-switch on the fuel pump sound is more of a muffled sound than usual. I feel this may be the culprit.

Back