'02 Road King started backfiring

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by tommytommi, Sep 4, 2009.

1. tommytommi

tommytommi Member

Riding home from work yesterday when I noticed the bike starting to backfire at 55 MPH. About 2 miles rom home it started doing it real bad and I barely got home. The bike is fuel injected and bone stock with 16K miles. Any thoughts?

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

How much gas is in the tank? Did you just fill up? What was the last thing that happened before it started acting this way?

TQ

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Have you checked the plugs and plug wires to see if they are on tight?

4. tommytommi

tommytommi Member

Tank is 3/4 full. Nothing to indicate any problems other than the occasional fuel injector "pop" at start up. Indicates to me something Major happened.

Plug wires appear to be fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  5. glider

glider Veteran Member

6. tommytommi

tommytommi Member

Thanx, I'll have that done at Mel's Place in Boulder City.

7. RedFLHRCI

RedFLHRCI Member

Another possible problem with the early 2000's is the wire going to the front injector is sometimes a little too short. Over time the wire will come apart and you loose the front cylinder.

8. tommytommi

tommytommi Member

My mechanic told me to check my battery connection. Could be loose terminal causing the backfire. I'll check it when I get home.

9. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

go ahead and take them off and wire brush-both ends of the cables and battery termn.,wipe off the old "dust" and tighten them back up anyway!

10. tommytommi

tommytommi Member

Terminals are good. Plug wires are good. When I turn the kill-switch on the fuel pump sound is more of a muffled sound than usual. I feel this may be the culprit.