free website stats program 02 Road King power loss above 70 mph | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Road King power loss above 70 mph

Photorider1961

My 2002 Road King has been running great until recently. Whenever I get on the highway at speeds above 70 mph I lose power until I drop to around 65 then power comes back. This is getting to be 70 to 80 % of the time. There have been no changes to the bike in the last year. This is a stock bike with the exception of slip on pipes, larger breather and rejetting of the carb. Idle is fine and all speeds up to 70 run great. :small3d011: Any suggestions on where to start. Any and all help appreciated.

Have you had the top off the carb lately? If so the diaphram may be pinched. Try moving the slide up and see if it moves freely and drops back down evenly.

1+ for possible obstruction in the fuel filter, fuel petcock (vacuume diaphram/line), fuel tank lines or picked up bad fuel (water or rust debris). Only then should you start looking at electrical and compression...just because it is easier to start off with less invasive troubleshooting basics first.

I started with the air cleaner, still doing it.. Then I pulled the carb and thouroughly cleaned it. This took care of the problem. I guess I had some crud in the carb. I pulled the jets and everything. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Ride on

Back