free website stats program 02 rk starts & doesnt start | Harley Davidson Forums

02 rk starts & doesnt start

Hello,new to forum have been reading here for a month and have learned a lot.I have 02 rk fuel inj. 49000 mi. Last week fuel line leaked at plastic fitting that slides on fuel rail. Put clamp on line everything ok. Going for a ride Sunday rode eight miles got gas bike would crank but wouldnt start. five min. or so bike started. Rode bike one mile shut bike off went in store for fifteen min. bike started. Went for a ninety five mile ride 2 to 3 stops in between bike started every time. Left last stop rode 3 miles got gas bike would crank but wouldnt start. five min. or so bike started. Rode back home ninety miles 2 stops in between bike started fine. When i got home shut bike off, took the gas cap off, checked oil waited around 5 min. put gas cap on. Bike wouldnt start went in house ten min. came out bike started. Took gas cap off put back on several times bike started every time. next day rode to town eight miles got gas bike started rode back home eight miles took gas cap off added 2 oz mystery marvel oil. Put gas cap on bike would crank wouldnt start. five min or so bike started. Puzzled. Please help Thanks very much. Big D.

Big D,

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info here on the Self-Help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Intermittent electrical problems a very frustrating. But start with the basics and the easy stuff first. Remove and clean (wire brush) both sides of the mating surfaces on the battery terminals (disconnect negative first and reconnect last). Do this at BOTH ends of each cable. Check under the insulation at the ends to see if there is a lot of corrosion there. If so, replace the cables (both). Resecure the cables to the bike and then battery (remember, negative terminal last).

Then check the grounds around the bike to make sure they are tight, and the wires are good at the ground location.

That is the easiest stuff. See if that works.

TQ

What's the last thing you worked on?

What's the possibility of water in the gas?

Got fuel pressure and spark?

Any swishing sound in the tank when the cap is off and the pump pressures up?

Hole in the fuel line inside the tank?

Give us a little to go on here :D

Sediment buildup in the fuel filter can have all the symptoms you are talking about.

Thanks for the tips. Last things i worked on was clutch adj. lubricated throttle cables and clutch cable. Did check battery connections positive was loose two days ago. Thought maybe that was the problem it wasnt. Rode bike tonight twenty miles when i got home let bike idle couple min. did not take gas cap off. Waited 5 min. bike wouldnt start tried several times. Still didnt start after 10 min. Bike does have spark. Took ECM fuse out for 30 seconds. Put fuse in bike started right up. Also have records on bike shows fuel filter was changed about 10,000 miles ago. Any ideas. Thank you.

oh yeah turn switch on can hear fuel pump run turn switch off wait five seconds turn switch on can hear fuel pump run again. Wouldnt the fuel pump already be pressurized? Also when you turn switch off you can hear a kinda small bubbling noise on the right side but not in the tank. Been working 12 hrs a day time to go to bed. Will check back in tomorrow after work. Thanks for your time. Good night.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the delay have been busy I'm sure know how that is. Checked all the basic stuff, still having problems. Have a great dealer about 2 hrs away, was there yesterday, they said sounds like fuel pump to them, i have the extended warrenty they said it would cover the fuel pump, great people at the dealer. I left the bike there i'll let you no how things go. Thanks for all the advise.

Ok, picked up bike dealer said they put in fuel kit which includes valve at bottom of tank, fuel line and connecter to fuel rail, and fuel line inside tank. I guess you guys could say I told you so! $50 deductible I`m happy with that. thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back