free website stats program 02 Heritage Wont start | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Heritage Wont start

OK, The update. Got to the shop this morning and thought I would give it one more shot and see if it would start before I started trying to diagnose it. So, I said a few "choice" words to the bike and hit the start button. After about six or seven cranks, the (EDIT) thing fired up. After running for about 1 minute I shut it off thinking it was a fluke but it fired right back up. I still haven't figured out why it wouldn't start the other day. Maybe it had to work out an air bubble in the fuel line or maybe something broke loose in the fuel system somewhere but it is running like a dream now. I let it run for maybe 45 minutes and it idles great and has good throttle response. I shut it off and let it cool down for about an hour and hit the start button again and it fire right up. Maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and be happy its running but I would still like to know why. Its got about 90 minutes of run time on it now, sitting in the shop and after I go back over everything and make sure everything is tight, I hope to put some miles on it this weekend. I'll let everybody know how it goes and post some pics after I polish it up. Its a little funky right now. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I REALLY appreciate it.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, possibly, by chance the fuel pump needed several cycles to prime since it was empty. Remember that when you turn the key on, the pump only runs for 2 seconds before it stops pumping. Who knows, maybe you were pumping against air. After turning the key on and off several times, it finally got rid of the air in the fuel system..

Once the engine STARTS and there is a crank trigger RPM idle signal the "system relay" closes and the fuel pump runs all the time.

Who knows? Maybe?

(I still don't like that hissing/fuel release sound in your tank)

Back