free website stats program 02 flhri wheel bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 flhri wheel bearings

i assume these are single row ball bearings, right? appreciate any suggestions about bearing choices.

I can't search right now, but I believe they are double row bearings. Since you have them out, look at the inner/outer race distance vs. the width. Picture
looks like there should be 2 rows.

here's what i found. this should be filed in the department of worthless information, but maybe it well help someone down the road from wasting a lot of time lookin for a good replacement bearing on an oddball size bearing, which is exactly what the 1 inch axel bearing is.

as Breeze said, i confirmed that it is 1" ID X 52mm OD X 21 mm WD. Breeze told me this right off the bat, but it just didnt sink in that is a really weird bearing to have metric and standard dimensions combined.

i checked multiple bearing distributors by telephone and internet (Jack, I called Gopher Bearing and told them u sent me, but no luck), local autoparts stores, and then took the bearing to a local bearing distributor (Applied Industrial Technologies 540 943 9299). the guy there called the manufacturer (FAG) and ended up talking to one of their engineers and one of their products people. the bearing was specially made for harley davidson by FAG in their canadian plant. it has since been discontinued. they couldnt give details on the bearing because its proprietary information, but he thought it might be a doublerow ball bearing as suggested by Breeze previously. i'm not gonna pull the seal out to find out for sure. i may want to reuse these sometime in the future.

i'm buying the All Balls brand bearings. they're made by kml, in china i'm pretty sure.

what have i learned? i pulled a set of good quality bearings out of the front wheel of my 02 rk. i'll hang onto them. and i'm putting in a set of lesser quality bearings. but hey, theyre newer at least! oh and was also reminded how harley engineering and parts quality sometimes goes backwards because of the pricepoint. hope that newer 28mm bearing in bikes is a little more generic and easier to cross reference so u can get it from several different manufacturers.

thanks all.

oldskoolz; Thanks for posting all of your findings. I have added them to my cross reference material. It will save us all some time and grief the next time the question comes up.
More than a few times I have wasted time and resources attempting to find better quality parts or just to not buy from the dealer, only to end up there.
HD Motor Corp. has done a great job in keeping their products proprietary, as you found out by trying to source bearings.

Back