free website stats program 02 fatboy ig swtch meltdown????? | Harley Davidson Forums

02 fatboy ig swtch meltdown?????

paulriley

ok here we go, go an 02 fatboy, 6k, with no add-ons cept harley installed tach/speedo.
bike was running on warm up and just stopped.
no power anywhere cept to odometer.
called harley and a few shops, NADA
i am a TECH, so i did my own search..... i found the prob, but still have an issue!
3 wires on ig switch,red w/blk strip on end is melted..
no more ig switch.
ok so i use jumper from red center and on UNPLUGGGED melted red/blk and start bike, ok cool, put reader on, and before ing scan is done the red/blk wire startes to cook some more....
w/out reader on (too $$$$ to lose) i do the same process and still starts to melt...
DONT KNOW WHERE TO GO NOW.
never been down, all stock except as stated at top....
anyone have a clue as to whats up?
pj:34:

REALLY HOPING SOMEONE CAN ANSWER THIS, as its gonna be a nice day here in socal on sat n sunday, would like to ride...

Last edited by a moderator:
Injected or carb?

Do you have the HD Factory Service Manual covering your '02 Fatboy? Need to look at the electrical system schematic. Suspect a dead short somewhere in the circuit that in the circuit which includes the ignition switch.

Do you have or can you get a DVOM? Inexpensive at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools. With all wires to switch disconnected, check continuity from other two wires and frame ground (not the hot lead). Trace to spot the short.

I know you said no mods, but have you had anything disassembled and reassembled for cleaning or something like that. Good starting point to look for pinched wire. And don't ASSUME about the install by HD. Check out what they did and make sure no possible short there.

Someone with an '02 Fatboy schematic please post it here.

Last edited:
lol, Yes i have the tools, i have more than god, 29 yrs in the biz.....
ok after some more checking i disod the switch, one of the contacts on the ing side melted down onto the copper contact.
so razor blading and the switch works...
Query, the wiring has been run, scanned with a fault finder, seems to be no shorts.
yes hd did do the install properly, they did so pre-delivery 6k ago.
i went thru a complete diagnostic run and all is in perameters, except one code.
this is a fuel inj model, code is
p0605, ecm flash error... hmmmm? any help here?
mind you i work on the jap bike side of life so this issue with the HD is new to me.
also the red wire with black stripe on the ing switch still is getting hot to the touch, but not melting anything at this time.
i know we dont normaly drive around feeling wires on our switches, but i am wondering is this hottness normal?
someone out there want to take the console off their bike and start it and see if indeed it does get hot to the touch?
it would solve alot of time...
thanks for the help
Pj:newsmile100:

i do the same process and still starts to melt...

You need to take a current shunt or induction amp probe and measure the current going through the Red wire. This is a must. At this point you still don't know if the meltdown was just an ignition switch that had an early death or something downstream that caused the switch to melt.

Sounds to me like excessive current draw.

I don't know if it applys to yuor issue,but my brother had a similar situaa\tion on his 89 FLH. Turns out the wire ends were iether weathered enough or just loose,but the fix was to solder the ends to the wires. Mind you there was no visable corrosion nor did the ends seem to be loose, but applying solder to the ends stopped the heat issue! BTW when I say hot I mean so hot you couldn't touch them and they were tripping breakers. :s

ok folks have the issue resolved.
after a few calls to tech at hd head home offices i was able to solve the prob...
for all who care, this is what follows.
being a tech for 29 years has been an advantage to all this, like trying to fit a 10inch water main to an 1 inch hose and forcing the water into it, the old wires were crystalized on the inside, thus providing to much resistance to the connecter and adding to the melt down...
Age is the issue, seems that when i bought my bike from hd of santa barbara it really didnt have 3900 miles on it, they replaced the speedo and falsified the paper work to reflect the new milage, according to hd in wisc, the bike was in for a warranty issue in 08 at 29k miles, a recall, and it was documented than
hd of SB said the bike was new and a floor demo, yeah like accross the country 10 times...
fuming i am, issue resolved on my end..
i guess i get the last laugh too.
HD OF SANTA BARBARA CALIF is no more as of today, closed filed bk, sold all assets in the last 30 days.
moral, even a dealer can pound u hard and unless u have the right contacts in good places u may never know how pounded u got,

( EDIT )

ok fixed, but for all the non help out there, i have to say, hasnt anyone actually taken that switch apart?
i did, and after a fix of my own, u wonder why people buY that switch in the first place, its 3 springs 3 contacts and a copper contact plate, all housed in the plastic bottom of the switch.
if you take it apart grease the pins in the keyed switch itself u will never need to spend ur hard earned money again...
HERE IS WHAT THE ISSUE WAS.
SEEMS HARLEY OF SANTA BARBARA CALIFE, POUNDED ME HARD ON THE 3900 MILE DEMO BIKE I BOUGHT.
SEEMS AT 29K IN 2008 IT HAD A RECALLED PART REPLACED AT A DEALER IN PLANO TEXAS, ORIGaN OF ORIGNAL SALE.... SOME DEMO, HUH 10times ACROSS COUNTRY MORe LIKE IT.
THE WIRES WERE CRYSTALIZED FROM AGE RESULTING IN TOO MUCH RESISTANCE AT THE SWITCH AND MELTING THE PLASTIC CONTACT INSIDE.....I FIXED, AND THANK U TO HD HOME OFFICE FOR THE HELP...

(EDIT) , HAHAHAHAH :newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100:
:small3d017:
GUESS EVEN THE REAL DEALERS CAN BE RIPP OFFS TOO, THATS WHY I SUPPORT SMALL SHOPS, THEY WORK HARD TO DO RITE, KEEP UR BIZZ, AND KEEP YA COMING BACK FOR MORE....
THANKS ALL
p

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my switch apart a while ago, due to the bike was shutting off, and witht the help from this forum, tracked my problem down to the switch being worn out.
even if you grease it, the plastic is going wear out, since the metal pins grind against the teeth

Back