free website stats program 01 Ultra Throttle Cable | Harley Davidson Forums

01 Ultra Throttle Cable

ultraj

I am looking for any information on how to change the throttle cable on my 2001 ultra classic. Is it doable in the garage or do I need to take it to HD?

Thanks,

Do you have the factory Service Manual for your bike? Most anything you'd want to do on your bike is covered in there. If you don't have one, I'd highly recommend it - best money you'll ever spend on your bike!

It's doable in the garage. Buy the service manual for your bike (most likely pay for the manual by doing it yourself). One trick is to tape the new cable to the old and pull it up under the tank as you pull the old cable out.

A garage project. The hardest part (for me) is getting the tiny wire clips that hold the metal elbows into the throttle housing, off and back on. The rest is fairly easy. The service manual is handy to get your cable adjustments spot on.

I am looking for any information on how to change the throttle cable on my 2001 ultra classic. Is it doable in the garage or do I need to take it to HD?

Very doable. As the guys have said above, get the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year. This is the first upgrade everyone should make!!

I suggest pulling the tank. I know it CAN be done without doing so, but it is WAY easier without the tank in the way.

TQ

I suggest pulling the tank. I know it CAN be done without doing so, but it is WAY easier without the tank in the way. TQ

I can second that. I debated taking off the tank when I installed my TFI and it was a LOT easier than I had scared myself into thinking and made the routing of the wires so much easier!

I would normally take the tank off for this type of job unless i was at the side of the road and doing a quick change to get going again
make sure the cable adjusters are fully backed off to give as much slack as possible
and watch for the wee ferrules as they are just a wee bit fiddly

Brian

Back