free website stats program 01 Ultra blowing head light/spot fuse | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

01 Ultra blowing head light/spot fuse

I also have an 01 doing the same thing, at present I have it torn down chasing wires only blows fuse when spot lights are on, would very greatly appreciate any help

Try running with one bulb then with the other see if you can isolate it to left or right. If that proves out true you at least havea little less wire to chase down. Also where the wire goes up through the bolt. you can cut a soda straw, slice it longways so it will colapse on its own diamater and use that as a liner to keep the wire off the metal wals of the hollow bolt.

Well, I tore mine apart front spot lights, head light, tank off and everything. I could not find any broken wires but I must have done something right, because it is fixed. Something may have been pinched and I wish I could have known what it was to help you all out. I did notice that there was some moisture in one of my spots, and that could have been the culprit. I guess I will never know.

try the wire going from the left side of the front fender to the front fender light after tearing everything apart with no luck I discoverd that the left side of the tire had rubbed through the insulation and was dragging the wires down until they would contact each other this causing a short, look at the left side of your front tire see if it has a shiny spot at the widest point of the tire
My 01 keeps blowing the head light fuse when I turn on the spots. I have the front faring off and unplugged the head light. I can run the spots without the head light and it wont blow. It only does it when they are both running. It will stay on for about 15 min with a 15 amp fuse and a 30 amp fuse before it blows. I just read about using the light bulb in the fuse socket, just didn't know if this was common problem. I have the spots disassembled and see no problems there. I looked at the spot switch and it looked fine.

My other question is that if I cant find this short, would I need to run one or two relays if I rewired the spots to another hot wire?

Well, I tore mine apart front spot lights, head light, tank off and everything. I could not find any broken wires but I must have done something right, because it is fixed. Something may have been pinched and I wish I could have known what it was to help you all out. I did notice that there was some moisture in one of my spots, and that could have been the culprit. I guess I will never know.

When troubleshooting, disturb only one thing at a time. Also using an earlier poster recommendation...divide and conquer, split left or right side of the circuit at the plug, test, then reconnect and do the other side ckt. You likely have a cut in the insulation...usually at a junction where the wiring passes by metal guides or rough pass-thru holes. May have to sleeve with plastic tubing...yeah I know it is a lot of trouble, but you may have only "masked" the problem (like momentarily twisting insulation so cut is not contacting metal) which may return usually at the worst possible time. :shock

Back