free website stats program 01 Road King rear brake | Harley Davidson Forums

01 Road King rear brake

ssavage50

Last week I took my rear wheel off and took it in and had a new tire put on (no problems). When I re-installed the wheel and test drove it, I heard a very faint noise coming from the rear. Went home jacked it up, and as I was spinning the wheel I noticed that the rear brake disk was barley rubbing only one certain spot. Don't know if my wheel got dropped at the shop or what because I left it for like 4 hrs. I put the axel back in just like it came off with both spacers in place. I lined up the rear axel by a guage rod from the center of the swing arm bolt to the center of the axel bolt. Maybe it always rubbed the pads, and I just now noticed because I took it apart. I don't know what else to do. Is there another adjustment ? Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh and one other question: What tool or socket removes the caliper bolts and pad pins? I can't find anything that works on these bolts (I haven't been to the Harley shop yet) Thanks for your help.

Scott

You may just need to clean out any old brake dust from the caliper. It takes a 12 pt socket to loosen bolts on caliper. But I don't think you want to take it apart unless you are planning on rebuilding and bleeding the system.
I would clean first and blow out. Also I would recommend getting a service manual.

Thanks TK,
Actually I have the manual but in CD form. It seems like if the caliper were dirty it would rub all the time, but this is just one certain spot, like the rotor is warped??????? I dunno. I did try a 12 point socket SEA and Metric, both slipped when I put pressure on them. Mine look like a star driver or something. Is their a way to shim the caliper over more that the spacer provides?

Do a search on the self help section. Lots of info there. You will find how to clean pistons in caliper with a shoe string. You may find that this will help. Careful with the brake cleaner and such, it is hard on the seals.

Bodeen

When I change tires I always remove the brake rotor from the side that I use the mount= demount bar on.. I bent a rotor once with the bar so now I play it safe and remove the rotor. If you put the wheel on a truing stand and spin it you can see the warp.
kemo

Sounds like the rotor may be warped, you can check this with a dial indicator:D

Scott - If you can see the rub, chances are your rotor is warped. If it was done during the tire change is anyone's guess, but it never hurts to ask. Sometimes you can feel a warped rotor "pulse" during gentle braking. The only true test is with a truing stand, but again, if you can see it.........

A warped rotor can cause premature wear to your pads and rotor(s). If you decide to change it, I would recommend going to a "floating" rotor. They are available from your dealer from $129.00 and up, depending on style and finish.

If you change it yourself, remember to use new mounting bolts and put a couple of drops of red loctite on the threads before torquing them to specs. This would also be a good time to replace your brake pads if needed.

Recommendation 2 - use the CD as a frisby and buy yourself a service manual.

Also, the brakie caliper mounting bolts are 10mm, twelve point.

A warped disc can also mean that the caliper has to float on the pivot pin, so it can cause wear out that pin as well, which is why a light high temp grease should lubricate it and if you can feel it "grooved" (you can use a flat mirror or glass to check it for wear) if that warpage has been there for awhile and pin is dirty or dry.

Get the 10mm 12pt socket in 3/8" drive and 1/4" drive...those brake pad pins are tight. Use the 3/8" for breaking the pins loose.

Thorns

Back