free website stats program 01 Road King Brake Caliper Repair Kits | Harley Davidson Forums

01 Road King Brake Caliper Repair Kits

01FLHR

I have a 2001 Road King. The calipers are leaking brake fluid on to the rotors. I have searched on line and can find caliper kits for my bike, but I would like to find some that just include the rubber parts and not the new pistons. Does anyone know if you can buy the rubber parts and not the pistons?

Thanks in advance...

I would bet that after you disassemble the caliper and clean up the old pistons, you will wish you had new ones. They are 10 years old and when you push them back in to the distance required for new pads, any pitted surface will be right on the quad ring. Not worth re-using them in my opinion. Unlike some calipers, the sealing surface is the piston surface and not the caliper bore.

But I am sure you can find just the seals if you look. Maybe J&P.

In the past when i have done caliper rebuilds i have always replaced the pistons as once their is corrosion on the side of the piston it is very hard to get it smooth again so that it works properly

Brian

Thanks Hoople and fin_676 for the information. You talked me in to going for the kits with pistons. I'd hate to do a rebuild with rubber parts only and new pads and find out that I still had leaking calipers!

Thanks again...

01FLHR

Back