free website stats program 01 RK disco alarm? | Harley Davidson Forums

01 RK disco alarm?

60DRB

New here and didn't see this when searching.

History: 2001 RK bought new. During first year of ownership installed SE intake, SE 204 cams, 95" conversion, Dynatek ignition module, Hooker slip-ons, and rejetted carb. Has always run great.

At about the 3-4 year old point the security system started acting up. Specifically, the fob would activate the system normally, but when attempting to de-activate the lights would flash as if the bike was being tampered with. Multiple attempts would finally get the system to deactivate. Bike battery and both fob batteries were good. After a few episodes of this I took it to the dealer (two different ones in two states actually). They could duplicate the issue, but had no clue what caused it...said the only thing they could do was replace the entire system/module for $$$$$. Since then (for the last 6-7 years) I just don't use the system for fear of it getting stuck in the no-start mode. Here's the disco part; Every time the electrical power/ignition is turned on prior to starting, the flashers come on for a few seconds as if the security system was on and somebody was trying to start the bike. This began at the same time as the reluctance to deactivate the security system and continued since. The bike starts fine and runs in spite of the light show. No codes are in evidence. I've gotten used to it, but occationally other riders ask what's going on with my bike.

Anybody have a clue what this issue is?

You say that the batteries are OK. With the age of things, have you tried fresh batteries? and I maybe wrong, but when program to not need fob, when starting I believe lights will flash.......

At the beginning of the issue the bike battery was only a month old, and it lasted for another 3 years. I replaced both the fob batteries back then as a trouble shooting step, and tried each fob and found the issue presented the same results with either fob. I don't think the fob had/has any purpose on my year model other than to activate/deactivate the security system. They could be at the bottom of the deep blue sea and it doesn't affect the actual running or starting of the bike. Several times after getting the bike I rode without the fob and everything works fine with or without, except the stated issue. Reluctance to disable the security mode and the flashing lights for every power up.

Back