free website stats program .007runout on new flhx | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

.007runout on new flhx

It took 2 weeks to get the crank back from darkhorse.I also had them install h-beam connecting rods since i decided to bore it out to a117''.It's all done but now i ordered a barnett scorpion clutch today because the stock clutch with a heavy diaphram spring wasn't working out so well.

Don't know if you will be checking it but would love to know what the run-out is now with crank installed in case and checked with indicator.

I did check it. it is less than .001,I also installed aT-MAN cam .625 lift with S&S gear drives,it is extremely quiet,quieter than stock with chain set-up.

Wow, .001", that's awesome. You have reached total conscience-ness.

You did the right thing. I am afraid to measure mine :p

Jim, You had .007" at the oil pump shaft, crank in case, turned by hand using a simple dial indicator.

This is my 1st HD engine. After checking it, did you have to do any re-align of oil pump or anything like that? I have the dial indicator tools & bases for setup but no special pump tools or studs for re-alignment. Can you take me step by step with what is involved.

The fact HD is sending out these bikes with a known issue like this really torques me. I mean come on, how big a deal is it to make a shaft that is straight, especially in a 20K+ ride? This is when I have to refrain from saying things I know I can't. GRRRRRRR:x

come on, how big a deal is it to make a shaft that is straight,

The crank pin is straight. The 2 flywheels are VERY true. It's the process of pressing the 3 pieces together that is the problem. The thing is you may be lucky or you may not be. It could be yours is .002" and the next guy is .009". It's not like they all are .007". But I agree it makes me disappointed that .012" is an acceptable limit.

Take a look at the 4 part "Podcast" at Performance Revolution. Watch all 4 parts. It's a 60 minute education on HD cranks & truing and why they are not straight.

Back