free website stats program .007runout on new flhx | Harley Davidson Forums

.007runout on new flhx

jim1102

Just wanted everyone to know i have a 2010 flhx that has 14 miles on it,tore it down and checked the runout on crankshaft it had .007 runout.I couldn't hardly believe it,the motor company is not getting any better with their crankshafts.How long would a motor last like this, with any kind of modifications to the motor?

I know someone posted the CHANGED VALUES that harley says is acceptable on the RUN-OUT...... IT IS A LARGER VALUE NOW JUST TO COVER THEIR BACK SIDES....... Probably NOT what YOU wanted to hear but that is the way it is....

I for one would think .002 would be a lot!

The newer style cams with the NEEDED chains make it easier on being OUT OF SQUARE with the crank

BUT what about the GEAR DRIVE OIL PUMPS??? (a few have had problems)
to say nothing about the out shaft bearing and cam support plate bushing that will take some punishment for the MISALIGNMENT!!!

GOLLY & GEE-WIZZ...com'n harley get your act together!

I better get a look at mine WHEN I "torque" cam it... 09 FLHR

signed....BUBBIE

Just wanted everyone to know i have a 2010 flhx that has 14 miles on it,tore it down and checked the runout on crankshaft it had .007 runout.I couldn't hardly believe it,the motor company is not getting any better with their crankshafts.How long would a motor last like this, with any kind of modifications to the motor?

A buddy of mine has a 06 FLHX with .007 runout and it's 113 c/i and the stock cam bearings are the only trouble he's had.

Tore it down as in removing the crank and mounting it in a fixture? Or was the crank in the case and you measured it at the oil pump.

I thought they had gotten a handle on this issue going into '08-'09. It really is crazy because the individual flywheels & ground surfaces are true to 10th's but the process of pressing the flywheels into the crank pin seems to be something they can't do correctly on a mass production basis.

Here's the spec's out of the 09 manual.

Table 3-11. Flywheel Specifications
Runout (shaft measured 0.000-0.010 in case)
Runout (measured in 0.000-0.004 truing stand)

Table 3-23. Flywheel
FLYWHEEL REPLACE IF WEAR EXCEEDS
Runout (shaft measured 0.012 in case)
Runout (measured in 0.005 truing stand)

100,000 miles or so it is not a big deal unless your installing gear drive cams
Crank run out has only been an issue on 110 buils that were run hard and evn then only on some bikes it is an issu ethat has taken on a life of its own.
42k on mine now just getting broken in

I would hope none of them would take on a life of their own,for20k plus you would think the moto co could get the cranks better than they are now.I like to take trips outwest every year and it kind of worries me that my motor mite take out the oil pump when I'm3000 miles from home, with no trailer.

Here's the spec's out of the 09 manual.

Table 3-11. Flywheel Specifications
Runout (shaft measured 0.000-0.010 in case)
Runout (measured in 0.000-0.004 truing stand)

Table 3-23. Flywheel
FLYWHEEL REPLACE IF WEAR EXCEEDS
Runout (shaft measured 0.012 in case)
Runout (measured in 0.005 truing stand)

wonder what the specs are for a jims motor?

The crankshaft and case has been sent to darkhorse crankworks,I cant keep it like that, knowing it could do extensive damage to the motor when i'm on a trip so far from home.peace of mind i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
The crankshaft and case has been sent to darkhorse crankworks,I cant keep it like that, knowing it could do extensive damage to the motor when i'm on a trip so far from home.peace of mind i guess.

I'd say a good call on your part..... Let us know the results....

ARE they truing or welding?

Keep us informed about their procedure and $$$ if you don't mind

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

They're truing,welding,and balance for$500.I'm also installing timken bearing on left side of the case that,s $350 JIM1102

Back