free website stats program 00 fxd trike drum brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

00 fxd trike drum brakes

lordharold

Hello all, My question, customer has 00 fxd with motor trike kit. bike is in for tensioners for the first time at 55k you can guess what they look like:( and noticed bikes rear brakes dragging. you can barely spin the wheels. I loosened the brakes to were they spin pretty freely. what I need to know is how to set them is there any certain spec for doing so. or is it like wheel bearings create drag and just bake them off a little. any thoughts have never had to do drum brakes other than my old Galaxie. Pads and fluid ok and mastercylinder are good to go

Just curious, is there any type of parking brake? I had that happen to me once in another life on a Studebaker Lark. Cable froze up and the rear wheels would hardly move.

Hello all, My question, customer has 00 fxd with motor trike kit. bike is in for tensioners for the first time at 55k you can guess what they look like:( and noticed bikes rear brakes dragging. you can barely spin the wheels. I loosened the brakes to were they spin pretty freely. what I need to know is how to set them is there any certain spec for doing so. or is it like wheel bearings create drag and just bake them off a little. any thoughts have never had to do drum brakes other than my old Galaxie. Pads and fluid ok and mastercylinder are good to go

If this is any thing like a leading trailing brake set up a slight drag should be good to go, Do you have a picture of the set up so I can take a look at it?

No kind of park brake, Spade5 and no pictures Jack but I googled and came up with what you suggested as a slight drag. and yes I believe it is a leading and trailing type looks just like the set up on my old 65 Galaxie 500 thanks to ya both always great to get help this is the best forum :bigsmiley12:

I have a Motortrike Trog kit and the way I adjust the rear shoes is to remove the wheels and then pull the drums. Turing the adjuster to spread the shoes open until I have to press in slightly with my finger tips, while pushing the drum back over the shoes.

I found this way to be the best way to get as even adjustment of the rear drum brakes as I could get.

On my rear drum brakes the slack adjuster are there but Im not looking to get enough speed to hit the back brakes to make them work. Also Motortrike drum brakes are Ford drum brakes from a 7.5 or 8.8 rear end for parts reference. Brake shoes and drum parts are found at any auto parts store

Back