free website stats program “We have met the enemy and he is us!” | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

“We have met the enemy and he is us!”

Gotta chuckle. Looks like everyone is in non-violent agreement. :bigsmiley12:

Someone once said people sometimes use facts the way a drunk uses a lamp post…not for illumination but for support.

I would bet the stats are accurate. Haven't tried looking up the detailed info but it would be very unusal to see anything that counters the historical fact that young riders on high performance bikes have more accidents. As already stated, that doesn't mean an older dude or dudette can't do risky things or make poor decisions. To me the point is riders need to THINK about riding while on their bikes. Ride within their abilities and realize the odds are high you're going to come out on the short end if you wreck.:yes

Age has no immunity to stupidity or inexperience.

Good post! Thanks

I was wondering what the average age of a Harley rider was because I rarely see a youngster on a Harley. Last week I did see a, say 20yo, on a Nightster. Turns out it is his Dad's. His crotch rocket was in the shop for repairs after a crash. DUH! He took off on the Nightster outta the gas station doing a wheelie and almost lost it when his front wheel hit a pot hole the size of the wheel. Not something this 59yo would do. After too many years of not riding I have started again and enjoy it immensely. I took a safety course and I am still re-building my skills by riding within my experience and capabilities. Last fall a rider my age was killed in a head on on a windy portion of 2 lane road. He took a right curve too fast and ventured into the oncoming traffic. The cause? speed, inexperience and a brand new bike barely 2 days old. This scared the crap outta me as I ride this road myself. With age should come some wisdom and caution. At least it does with me. I not ever going to be one who does not take into account aging and its effect on reflexes, eyesight etc.

What is the % of accidents of crotch rockets to cruisers & what is the age range of the highest % of accidents & how long has the person been a endorsed rider , what was the average BAC of the rider & the average age of the impaired rider , are the riders trying to avoid a cager that does something stupid ???? IMO there are to many people that take a 3 day riding course & get a MC endorsment & get sent out as a safety trained MC rider & they DO NOT have a clue on how to ride a MC what alone know how to ride a MC in traffic . I think that MC training should be longer & include a common sense evaulation !! IMO

This answers some of those questions.

Insurance Information Institute -

Good post! Thanks

I was wondering what the average age of a Harley rider was because I rarely see a youngster on a Harley. Last week I did see a, say 20yo, on a Nightster. Turns out it is his Dad's. His crotch rocket was in the shop for repairs after a crash. DUH! He took off on the Nightster outta the gas station doing a wheelie and almost lost it when his front wheel hit a pot hole the size of the wheel. Not something this 59yo would do. After too many years of not riding I have started again and enjoy it immensely. I took a safety course and I am still re-building my skills by riding within my experience and capabilities. Last fall a rider my age was killed in a head on on a windy portion of 2 lane road. He took a right curve too fast and ventured into the oncoming traffic. The cause? speed, inexperience and a brand new bike barely 2 days old. This scared the crap outta me as I ride this road myself. With age should come some wisdom and caution. At least it does with me. I not ever going to be one who does not take into account aging and its effect on reflexes, eyesight etc.

You guys are awesome.............I feel so young when you talk like that!!!:D

This answers some of those questions.

Insurance Information Institute -

A very interesting article , it seems that the sport bike may be the major cause of the increase . It seems that some of the older riders are trying to relive their youth IMO , another interesting fact was the # of people that did not have a MC endorsement or had their license suspended . The BAC is not to surprising because alot bike runs & activities revolve around bars & taverns .

I am going to get nailed for this one.
I is my right to do dumb stuff and fall off it I chose. What I do not have a right to do is put others at risk when I do it.
What others do not have a right to do is spend their time trying to protect me from ME.
because they do not like what I am doing.
Life is a risk I should for the most part be allowed to decide how much risk and how I manage it is right for ME.
All those studies and number are is someones way of trying to justify making ME do what they want . IMO

And here I thought all those studies where done simply so the insurance companies could continue charging us grossly inflated premiums.

I think some of you are reading all this stuff and working yourself into a frenzy where you won't enjoy riding anymore. And yes Smitty I agree with you!

I agree with Smitty , I to am against people trying to protect me from myself but the public roads & highways is not the place to do dumb stuff , to many idiots out there driving around . If I wanted to do some wild & crazy stuff on a MC I would get a dirt bike & have @ it . I did notice that there is no statistics on the % of accidents that were caused by cagers doing stupid stuff on the public roads & highways , now that would be some interesting info:eam

I think some of you are reading all this stuff and working yourself into a frenzy where you won't enjoy riding anymore. And yes Smitty I agree with you!

Gonna take a lot more than this topic to put a dent in my ridin' fun!:newsmile090::newsmile090:

Back