Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Oil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM     #1
Start The Engine
Ride: 2005 Dyna Super Glide
 
Hughey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 23rd, 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 25
My Mood: My Mood
Hughey79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

I read on the internet that Lucas oil dramaticaly lowers the sounds that twin cams make. The person had used the synthetic stabilizer as well. On Bobstheoilguy.com he notes that it does well and as described but adds a lot of air to the oil. Is this a good oil to use or should one stay with Mobile 1? Should one add a stabilizer or consider it a snake oil?
The reason I am asking is that when I went for a ride yesterday I noticed more valve train noise and just wondered if there was a way to make it smoother. Thanks.
Hughey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 07:23 AM     #2
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Quote: Originally Posted by Hughey79 View Post
I read on the internet that Lucas oil dramaticaly lowers the sounds that twin cams make. The person had used the synthetic stabilizer as well. On Bobstheoilguy.com he notes that it does well and as described but adds a lot of air to the oil. Is this a good oil to use or should one stay with Mobile 1? Should one add a stabilizer or consider it a snake oil?
The reason I am asking is that when I went for a ride yesterday I noticed more valve train noise and just wondered if there was a way to make it smoother. Thanks.
Here's the test done with the lucas .

What about Additives?
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM     #3
Start The Engine
Ride: 2005 Dyna Super Glide
 
Hughey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 23rd, 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 25
My Mood: My Mood
Hughey79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Yep that is the exact artilce I read. It seems like he likes it but yet doesnt. Can someone clarify in laymans terms for me?
Hughey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM     #4
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

I got that impression too, first he likes it then when it gets aerated, he's not too happy with it then. I don't think that the aeration in the oil is a desirable thing myself especially if it were in the engine oil as opposed to the trans oil.
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM     #5
Warming The Wheels
Ride: 2002 Ultra Classic
 
2002UltraClassic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 26th, 2007
Posts: 65
2002UltraClassic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Was a good read Glider, thanks for the link. I "was" a Lucas fan until I seen that article. I think Ill be looking at other alternitives for my cage. I dont use any additives in my bike, and dont think Ill start any time soon after reading that either.
__________________
Visit natesplaceonline dot com to see all my pics.
2002UltraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM     #6
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Glad to help, As with anything else, there's opinions going in both directions but that site would tend to sway me a bit not to use it any longer if I had been using it.
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM     #7
Start The Engine
Ride: 2005 Dyna Super Glide
 
Hughey79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 23rd, 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 25
My Mood: My Mood
Hughey79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Good atleast I am not the only one to see it like that. I was looking to change if it would make a difference but its not looking so good.
Hughey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM     #8
Community Star
Ride: 2014 Ultra Limited
 
Tigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 12th, 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 621
My Mood: My Mood
Tigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

So are different oils going to have an impact on valve noise. My bike has Syn3 in it and the valves make a decent ammount of noise after it has warmed up. Any sugestions on what oil to use to help reduce this. I am getting ready to do my 5k service and am curious about what engine oil to buy to help reduce engine noise. I am getting the Syn3 out of it . (previous owner put it in all 3 holes). I am going to put Formula plus in the primary and spectro in the trans. When I find a dealer who will get it for me.All the local spectro dealers around where I live won't get it in because they have to buy it a case at a time and don't want to get stuck with it (I can see their point).
Thanks Jack
Tigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM     #9
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 2007 softail fxst
 
wildspirit97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 12th, 2007
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,088
My Mood: My Mood
wildspirit97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Quote: Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
All the local spectro dealers around where I live won't get it in because they have to buy it a case at a time and don't want to get stuck with it (I can see their point).
Thanks Jack
I don't see their point.!! If I was a dealer I would rather get stuck with one case of oil that would more than likely sell eventually than lose a customer that would more than likely spend more $$$$ than that case of oil cost. Most people buy all their oil at the same place so when you find a guy that will get you the one thing you want that you can't get anywhere else your probably gonna get the other easy to find things at the same time.
wildspirit97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM     #10
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Lucas Oil & Stabilizer

Quote: Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
So are different oils going to have an impact on valve noise. My bike has Syn3 in it and the valves make a decent ammount of noise after it has warmed up. Any sugestions on what oil to use to help reduce this. I am getting ready to do my 5k service and am curious about what engine oil to buy to help reduce engine noise. I am getting the Syn3 out of it . (previous owner put it in all 3 holes). I am going to put Formula plus in the primary and spectro in the trans. When I find a dealer who will get it for me.All the local spectro dealers around where I live won't get it in because they have to buy it a case at a time and don't want to get stuck with it (I can see their point).
Thanks Jack
Redline makes a 20/60 oil for V Twins. Never used it myself but it has to be better in the TC engines with the valve noises.

Bottom of the page. (Also put MOS10 in the comments box for a 10% discount. )

Motorcycle Oils
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lucas Syn 20w50. porkchop Oil 11 Dec 8th, 2010 09:38 AM
Lucas Oil Products glider. Oil Related Tips 27 Jun 26th, 2010 05:40 PM
Lucas Oil tlyoungb Oil 4 Feb 1st, 2010 05:17 PM
Lucas Oil???? copman Oil 5 Jul 29th, 2009 09:40 PM
Lucas Oil 85w140 in tranny.. Mavagrand Touring Models 7 Sep 30th, 2008 11:43 PM