Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Oil

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:13 PM     #1
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 1998 Heritage Softail Classic
 
JBC2565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Location: Berryville VA
Posts: 842
JBC2565 is on a distinguished road
EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Had a wonderful 77 degree day here in Northern Virginia so took the bike out for a 2 hour ride(first longer ride of year. Sat in shed for 4 months). Came home and looked it over for any leaks or issues. Noticed that the oil pump gear cover pinion bushing was "wet" and had a small "dribble" down oil pump housing.
Just wondering how tight I should put it in or is there a clearence amount it should be in from housing. Don't want to snug it up in pump if it will push on something inside pump and impede the flow of oil.
Bike is a 1998 Heritage softail classic 32k Mikuni carb, K&N a c and krome werks slip ons. Never leaked before and just brought out of storage this past week.
Thanks for the help.
John
JBC2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM     #2
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,265
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by JBC2565 View Post
Had a wonderful 77 degree day here in Northern Virginia so took the bike out for a 2 hour ride(first longer ride of year. Sat in shed for 4 months). Came home and looked it over for any leaks or issues. Noticed that the oil pump gear cover pinion bushing was "wet" and had a small "dribble" down oil pump housing.
Just wondering how tight I should put it in or is there a clearence amount it should be in from housing. Don't want to snug it up in pump if it will push on something inside pump and impede the flow of oil.
Bike is a 1998 Heritage softail classic 32k Mikuni carb, K&N a c and krome werks slip ons. Never leaked before and just brought out of storage this past week.
Thanks for the help.
John
How many miles? These gaskets tend to get brittle over time is the leak between the pump and the crank case? I dont think re tightening the bolts will help I would pull the pump inspect it and or replace it and all snap rings and gaskets JMO
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:21 PM     #3
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 1998 Heritage Softail Classic
 
JBC2565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Location: Berryville VA
Posts: 842
JBC2565 is on a distinguished road
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
How many miles? These gaskets tend to get brittle over time is the leak between the pump and the crank case? I dont think re tightening the bolts will help I would pull the pump inspect it and or replace it and all snap rings and gaskets JMO
32,000. Oil is not coming out of side housing on pump, but the actual hole where bolt goes into. # 30 bolt on link below.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Jack.

Last edited by JBC2565; Apr 4th, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Clear up thought
JBC2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM     #4
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,265
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by JBC2565 View Post
32,000. Oil is not coming out of side housing on pump, but the actual hole where bolt goes into. # 30 bolt on link below.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Jack.
Look at that exploded view again the parts are not numbered right, I still think you have a gasket problem, I have seen this before on Softails
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM     #5
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 1998 Heritage Softail Classic
 
JBC2565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Location: Berryville VA
Posts: 842
JBC2565 is on a distinguished road
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
Look at that exploded view again the parts are not numbered right, I still think you have a gasket problem, I have seen this before on Softails
I'll try this link below. One on mine above didn't have picture.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Harley Davidson Community (EVO Oil Pump Pic)

Where mine is leaking from is round hole #30 on pump cover (all the way left top # 30. I see it has two # 30's. other #30 is in actual pump).
I did tighten it up and leak stopped, but I only road for 30 minutes. Was wondering if that would impede oil from flowing. I might have to do a gasket switch out this weekend. Hope the dealer has one in stock. Thanks.
JBC2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM     #6
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,265
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by JBC2565 View Post
I'll try this link below. One on mine above didn't have picture.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Harley Davidson Community (EVO Oil Pump Pic)

Where mine is leaking from is round hole #30 on pump cover (all the way left top # 30. I see it has two # 30's. other #30 is in actual pump).
I did tighten it up and leak stopped, but I only road for 30 minutes. Was wondering if that would impede oil from flowing. I might have to do a gasket switch out this weekend. Hope the dealer has one in stock. Thanks.
If it stopped leaking I would just keep an eye on it These pumps are pretty stout I have only seen one fail and I did a in frame rebuild including new bushing that H D said could not be done with out pulling the motor LOL making my own tools was half the job
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:05 PM     #7
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 1998 Heritage Softail Classic
 
JBC2565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Location: Berryville VA
Posts: 842
JBC2565 is on a distinguished road
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
If it stopped leaking I would just keep an eye on it These pumps are pretty stout I have only seen one fail and I did a in frame rebuild including new bushing that H D said could not be done with out pulling the motor LOL making my own tools was half the job
Thank you Jack. Looks like in the picture, that bolt just holds the cover onto pump up high and doesn't go anyway near the gears but didn't know if an oil channel went near that bolt. Numbers are definately incorrect. Says the gasket is 8 but should be 19. I'll have to get the service manual back from my friend to double check before I ride this weekend.
John
JBC2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM     #8
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,265
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by JBC2565 View Post
Thank you Jack. Looks like in the picture, that bolt just holds the cover onto pump up high and doesn't go anyway near the gears but didn't know if an oil channel went near that bolt. Numbers are definately incorrect. Says the gasket is 8 but should be 19. I'll have to get the service manual back from my friend to double check before I ride this weekend.
John
Good deal i still think the gasket may be to blame but if the bolts are tight now you should be good to go the gears and oil passages should be ok
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:21 PM     #9
Community Guru Wannabe
Ride: 1998 Heritage Softail Classic
 
JBC2565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Location: Berryville VA
Posts: 842
JBC2565 is on a distinguished road
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

Quote: Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
Good deal i still think the gasket may be to blame but if the bolts are tight now you should be good to go the gears and oil passages should be ok
Please tell me I can change the gasket with the engine in frame??? Looks like I have plenty of room, might just have to drop an exhaust for more room to work.
Might as well clean the tappet screen while I'm in that section.

You have me scared with your comment above about the EVO oil pump rebuild.
JBC2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:47 PM     #10
Retired Moderators
Ride: 2005 FLTRI
 
Join Date: Aug 28th, 2009
Location: Suwannee, Fl
Posts: 4,749
My Mood: My Mood
HDDon will become famous soon enoughHDDon will become famous soon enough
Re: EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

I just looked at my manual for a 94 and it is the same exploded view as the ones above. My manual says the pump can be rebuilt without removing the crankcase, so I don't see any reason you can't replace the gaskets. The part #30 inthe view above is actually a plug in my manual.
HDDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam Pinion Gear replacement or not? Bullys FLSTN Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 4 Jun 15th, 2010 03:28 AM
Cam, pinion gear, TDC-timing prob--HELP! CatWoman Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 19 Oct 14th, 2009 02:49 AM
oil pump/cam cover replacement dcenglund Touring Models 5 Aug 15th, 2009 09:19 AM
Pinion gear grinding mario189 Transmission 0 Mar 8th, 2009 07:33 PM
Pinion gear DonM Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 0 Mar 2nd, 2009 04:33 PM