Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

Help with squeek noise

Engine, Fuel and Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:24 PM     #1
Start The Engine
Ride: 06 RK Classic
 
Join Date: Aug 19th, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 15
adalt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with squeek noise

Upon start up, my 06 Road King has developed a "belt squeek" sound that appears to be coming from the left side towards the back end. The belt isn't spinning, so I don't think it is that. Is there anything else I can check? I can't hear it when moving, but i can hear it while sitting at a light with the clutch in. The sound remains even in neutral. Not sure what to check next and I really don't want to take it to the dealership yet.
adalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM     #2
Warming The Wheels
Ride: 2006 Road Glide
 
Join Date: Sep 14th, 2008
Location: Nor. Ca.
Posts: 68
1fltri4me is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with squeek noise

I would also check for loose fastners such as the heat sheild clamps,exhaust mounting points and anything else.
One time my bike had a rattle sound.The problem was the rear rubber exhuast mount under the left saddle bag.There was ecessive clearance so I just sqeezed the mount with channael locks to make it tighter.
1fltri4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:33 AM     #3
Moderators
Ride: '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
 
TQuentin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 4th, 2008
Location: Summerwood in Humble, TX
Posts: 4,321
TQuentin1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with squeek noise

Quote: Originally Posted by adalt2 View Post
Upon start up, my 06 Road King has developed a "belt squeek" sound that appears to be coming from the left side towards the back end. The belt isn't spinning, so I don't think it is that. Is there anything else I can check? I can't hear it when moving, but i can hear it while sitting at a light with the clutch in. The sound remains even in neutral. Not sure what to check next and I really don't want to take it to the dealership yet.
I had a similar problem with my bike. Sound is funny on a running bike. Hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. Get a stethoscope, long screw driver or a solid metal rod (I like 1/2" or 5/8" aluminium) and put your ear on it to see if you can isolate where the sound is actually coming from. Check particularly up towards the front of the inner primary case. What you want to make sure of is that the sound you are hearing is not the compensator grinding against the primary cover if the nut has backed off, or the rotor screeching if the splines have sheered. If you have ANY doubt, open up the primary and look. If you leave it and one of these is your problem, you will spend beaucoup pesos fixin' what gets torn up.

TQ
TQuentin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM     #4
Start The Engine
Ride: 06 RK Classic
 
Join Date: Aug 19th, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 15
adalt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with squeek noise

Not sure I believe this, but I may have found the problem. I checked everything mentioned and couldn't find a thing. Had the saddlebags removed and had spent a little time on my back looking. Disgusted, I decided to wash the bike and There it was! It seems the chrome mounting bracket holding the tail of the exhaust to bike is cracked in half. Not the mount have you, but the bar its self. Anyone know of a recall on the part? Thanks for all the info though.
adalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM     #5
Moderators
Ride: '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
 
TQuentin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 4th, 2008
Location: Summerwood in Humble, TX
Posts: 4,321
TQuentin1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with squeek noise

Quote: Originally Posted by adalt2 View Post
Not sure I believe this, but I may have found the problem. I checked everything mentioned and couldn't find a thing. Had the saddlebags removed and had spent a little time on my back looking. Disgusted, I decided to wash the bike and There it was! It seems the chrome mounting bracket holding the tail of the exhaust to bike is cracked in half. Not the mount have you, but the bar its self. Anyone know of a recall on the part? Thanks for all the info though.
Wow! That plate is about 1/8-3/16" thick and beveled on both sides. Did you bottom out the muffler on that side? Is the muffler a bit mashed?

I do develop an irritating squeaking noise from the rubber isolators that those bars slide though. I have to spray some lube on them from time-to-time to quiet them back down.

I am still amazed that one would have cracked in half.

TQ

Last edited by TQuentin1; Sep 30th, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typos
TQuentin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM     #6
Start The Engine
Ride: 06 RK Classic
 
Join Date: Aug 19th, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 15
adalt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with squeek noise

No, no damage to the muffler at all. I don't remember hitting anything hard. Everything was fine the previous Saturday before I rode 548 miles. Started it up the following day and there it was. It still amazes me. I am going to try to get down to the dealership today to find out if there was a factory recall or something. Seems kind of weird.
adalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM     #7
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with squeek noise

Quote: Originally Posted by adalt2 View Post
No, no damage to the muffler at all. I don't remember hitting anything hard. Everything was fine the previous Saturday before I rode 548 miles. Started it up the following day and there it was. It still amazes me. I am going to try to get down to the dealership today to find out if there was a factory recall or something. Seems kind of weird.

Go here , It will tell you of any recalls on the bike.

Service Check List Recalls - Harley Davidson Community (Service Check List & Recalls)
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM     #8
Start The Engine
Ride: 06 RK Classic
 
Join Date: Aug 19th, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 15
adalt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with squeek noise

Thanks for being on top of it.
adalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM     #9
Start The Engine
Ride: 06 RK Classic
 
Join Date: Aug 19th, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 15
adalt2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help with squeek noise

Alright it is all fixed. The chrome piece that connects to the brace for the exhaust was broke in half. The piece is about 1/8" thick and broke. Go figure. It cost $73 for the part and took less than 10 minutes to replace. Started it up...an the squeek was still there. Turns out all I needed to do was add some lube to the rubber mount bracing the exhaust. Would have never found the crack without the noise though.
adalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM     #10
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Help with squeek noise

Something like this?

Muffler Squeaks - Harley Davidson Community (Muffler Squeaks)

If your broken piece is what I think it is where the bracket on the side of the rear fender connects to the muffler support , check under the fender for the brace that ties the left and right sides together. I have seen where that bracket breaks from road shock without that brace installed under the fender. Some bikes use a bumper back there to stiffen things up also.
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noise dragrace Touring Models 7 Jan 6th, 2011 01:03 AM
Bad Noise, Need Help Please! johng3d Touring Models 10 Jul 8th, 2009 11:03 PM
'97 EVO EFI noise? Dean Chowenhill Electrical 6 May 20th, 2009 07:03 AM
Noise Rapedape Dyna Models 11 Nov 13th, 2008 07:59 AM
New Noise Long Ride Softail Models 1 Jul 29th, 2008 08:07 AM