Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

upper engine noise

Engine, Fuel and Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM     #1
Start The Engine
Ride: 1986 Heritage Softail Classic
 
Join Date: Apr 5th, 2010
Posts: 25
My Mood: My Mood
bassman61 is an unknown quantity at this point
upper engine noise

hello, all....

I have a considerable amount of noise, a light metallic, rattling, "jingling" type noise.(sounds like it's coming from the upper engine, up by the heads)...... Recently, a mechanic friend of mine adjusted the pushrods, which seemed to help a little bit, but not completely. It almost sounds like a set of keys jingling, something along that line.

I can speculate all day long (could be this, might be that, etc.) but I won't.

Hopefully this is an easy fix. Any help is appreciated, thanx.


ED
bassman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 10:42 PM     #2
Account Removed
Ride: 2009 Dyna Low
 
Join Date: Aug 16th, 2009
Posts: 7,235
Hoople will become famous soon enoughHoople will become famous soon enough
Re: upper engine noise

Quote: Originally Posted by bassman61 View Post

I can speculate all day long (could be this, might be that, etc.) but I won't.

ED
In order not to....

Tell us a little about the engine. Recent work done. Is it stock. If not what mods have you done. Mileage on engine. Fluids you currently use. Is the noise something that has always been there, if not when did it start. Other than pushrods adjustment what other things have you tried to isolate the source of the noise. Does the bike have any performance issues other than the noise..
Hoople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 01:26 AM     #3
Moderators
Ride: '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
 
TQuentin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 4th, 2008
Location: Summerwood in Humble, TX
Posts: 4,239
TQuentin1 is on a distinguished road
Re: upper engine noise

Noises on our bike are often confusing since they can show up other than where the problem is. Do as Hoople suggests, and give us some more info.

But also go to the bike and inspect it for something loose. With the engine cool to the touch, grab the bars and hold the front brake. Vigorously rock the bike forward and back against the brake so the fork compresses substantially. Listen for noise. Track any down.

Grab handfuls of the bike and try to find something loose including the gas tank. If you have been all over the bike and can not find anything loose, get a stethoscope and try to isolate the noise: forward head, rear head, forward lifters, rear lifters, cam chest, inside the case, etc.

Keep tracing the sound until you isolate it and see where it is coming from, and let us know.

TQ
__________________

Please stop by the "The Self-Help pages."
>>Self-Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community Self-Help Threads Information<< click me!
TQuentin1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM     #4
Moderators
Ride: 1992 Softail Custom
 
fin_676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 21st, 2008
Location: Banffshire,Scotland
Posts: 4,438
My Mood: My Mood
fin_676 is on a distinguished road
Re: upper engine noise

I had a noise like that once on a sportster had an aftermarket rubber mounted tank the rear rubber mounts had decided to go in their own direction which left the threaded rod jingling in the frame
keep looking you will eventually find something loose

Brian
__________________
I try to put my brain in gear before my hands go on the keyboard


Self Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community
fin_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM     #5
Community Star
Ride: '05 FLSTC
 
Dr.Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 11th, 2010
Location: S.W. Michigan
Posts: 699
My Mood: My Mood
Dr.Evil is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: upper engine noise

I get a similar noise when I ride on grooved pavement, as soon as I hit smooth road, no noise; go figure that one out.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM     #6
Warming The Wheels
Ride: '09 EGC
 
dbinbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 4th, 2010
Location: Squamish, BC, Canada
Posts: 137
dbinbc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: upper engine noise

Noises sure do show up in other places. I thought I had an upper engine noise that was driving me nuts. It was really bad at an idle but when I would pull away and ride, it seemed to go away. Go so bad I was afraid to fire up the bike. Decided to try the old trick where you put a metal shaft against a part of the engine and the other end to your ear to hear that spot better. As I did that, I rested my hand on my foot board... noise stopped. Pulled my hand off, noise started again. It was a loose foot board all along. Felt relieved and stupid. Just making the point that noises can be coming from anywhere.
dbinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM     #7
Contributor
Ride: FLHR 09/103"
 
BUBBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15th, 2008
Location: AZ, S.East corner/Western WA.
Posts: 4,465
My Mood: My Mood
BUBBIE has a spectacular aura aboutBUBBIE has a spectacular aura about
Re: upper engine noise

Quote: Originally Posted by bassman61 View Post
hello, all....

I have a considerable amount of noise, a light metallic, rattling, "jingling" type noise.(sounds like it's coming from the upper engine, up by the heads)...... Recently, a mechanic friend of mine adjusted the pushrods, which seemed to help a little bit, but not completely. It almost sounds like a set of keys jingling, something along that line.

I can speculate all day long (could be this, might be that, etc.) but I won't.
Hopefully this is an easy fix. Any help is appreciated, thanx.
ED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY easy to remedy Guess:
Check the Snake Skins .... Often the clamps come loose and or break from the skin covers and that JINGLE noise was a sure Likeness of the problem.

Bad cam bearing would also make that sound.
Are you talking about your EVO here ?

signed....BUBBIE
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 04:59 PM     #8
Play The Throttle
Ride: 2006 Superglide custom
 
2006FXDCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2nd, 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 182
2006FXDCI is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: upper engine noise

I had the same noise recently in mine, it turned out to be a broken rocker support. It sounded like a set of keys rattling around in my front rocker box.
2006FXDCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM     #9
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 15,667
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: upper engine noise

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoople View Post
In order not to....

Tell us a little about the engine. Recent work done. Is it stock. If not what mods have you done. Mileage on engine. Fluids you currently use. Is the noise something that has always been there, if not when did it start. Other than pushrods adjustment what other things have you tried to isolate the source of the noise. Does the bike have any performance issues other than the noise..
Quote: Originally Posted by TQuentin1 View Post
Noises on our bike are often confusing since they can show up other than where the problem is. Do as Hoople suggests, and give us some more info.

But also go to the bike and inspect it for something loose. With the engine cool to the touch, grab the bars and hold the front brake. Vigorously rock the bike forward and back against the brake so the fork compresses substantially. Listen for noise. Track any down.

Grab handfuls of the bike and try to find something loose including the gas tank. If you have been all over the bike and can not find anything loose, get a stethoscope and try to isolate the noise: forward head, rear head, forward lifters, rear lifters, cam chest, inside the case, etc.

Keep tracing the sound until you isolate it and see where it is coming from, and let us know.

TQ
More info is a big plus as noisrs can and do travel and come and go IE lifter noises valve noise and spark knock
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM     #10
Start The Engine
Ride: 1986 Heritage Softail Classic
 
Join Date: Apr 5th, 2010
Posts: 25
My Mood: My Mood
bassman61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: upper engine noise

My bike is a 1986 Heritage Softail Classic, with a 1340 (80c.i.) Evo engine.
Mileage is a little over 23,000
Recently had a tune-up, and some other service done (based on the 20,000 mile svc.)
Recently had a maddening oil leak, turned out the seals in the tranny were going bad...that issue has been resolved......pushrods were adjusted to "back off" sound a little bit.......
Fluids were Amsoil 20-50 in the engine and primary, Amsoil Severe Gear in the tranny....that was until the recent work done......engine and primary are still the same, but I believed he put in standard Harley tranny fluid.
Really, no modifications to speak of......

All in all, bike runs good, so hopefully I can narrow this down soon.

Thanks for the input, and God bless.
bassman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
engine noise alford 56 Sportster Models 17 Apr 10th, 2010 11:58 PM
Engine noise Redfish-Joe Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 7 Aug 13th, 2009 03:16 PM
05 883 very bad engine noise cruiseboy Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 6 Jun 14th, 2009 06:47 AM
engine noise fatboy se Softail Models 0 Jun 1st, 2009 07:31 PM
Engine noise???? harleydukeboy Engine, Fuel and Exhaust 4 Jan 3rd, 2009 07:21 PM