Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

Ignition Switch Failure??

Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM     #1
mc2
Contributor
Ride: 2008 Fat Boy Anniversary Model
 
Join Date: Jun 24th, 2009
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 211
mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ignition Switch Failure??

After 39,940 miles my 08 Fat Boy is letting me down for the first time, and after all I've put it through that's not bad. At least it didn't happen in a remote jungle!

I've called a shop in the states, but they are now closed till Tue, as well as the Singapore HD till Monday, and I wonder!

I turned the switch to start, and when I hit the starter button - click.
All contacts for battery and inside the switch (those three sliders with the springs) are clean, and fuses all ok.

Battery is at 12.8 v, and if I turn ign. sw. to Accessory there are 12v there, but when I turn the switch to ignition it all drops to 0.3: at the battery, and at the tangs on the ign. sw. Removed the PC V to check with OEM, but nothing different.

Both shops gave a confirmation that the ignition sw. is probably the culprit. Although there shows continuity on the ign. side of the switch. By appearance the ign. tang (all tangs actually) just run solid through the plastic housing for shared contact by the sliders inside. Puzzling!

I'm wondering if I can test it by making a direct contact from the center power tang crossed to the ign. tang? Without concern for blowing fuses or worse!
I'm isolated out in the rice paddys and just want to be careful.
Thanks.
mc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM     #2
Moderators
Ride: 1992 Softail Custom
 
fin_676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 21st, 2008
Location: Banffshire,Scotland
Posts: 4,552
My Mood: My Mood
fin_676 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

I am not an expert on electrical systems but if the battery voltage across the terminals drops considerably when you press the start button then the battery is faulty and would need to be replaced

Brian
__________________
I try to put my brain in gear before my hands go on the keyboard


Self Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community
fin_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM     #3
Community Star
Ride: 2007 Softail FXSTC
 
eleft36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 25th, 2008
Location: Fairfield, CT.
Posts: 446
My Mood: My Mood
eleft36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

IMO if it were the switch you would not even get a click.

Look at the battery and all the connections to and including all in the fuse panel.

Al
__________________
2010 CVO 110" Exhaust K&N A/C,StockHeads,Andrews 26 Cams,SE 103" BBKit,Mustang Wide Touring Seat,Stock Bars,H.D. Oil Cooler,1990's LeatherWorks inc. Bags,Deluxe Modified Guards, H-D Windshield,'05 CVO SE Tour Pac,Thunder Max A/T SCRC member chapter 524
eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 09:10 AM     #4
Community Guru
Ride: 05 Road King Police
 
lorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 10th, 2010
Location: Richmond Tx/Margarita Island
Posts: 2,377
My Mood: My Mood
lorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

do you have any way of load testing the battery? a simple light bulb should work as a load and see how much the voltage drops once it is connected across + and-.
__________________
friends don't let friends ride stock
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM     #5
Contributor
Ride: FLHR 09/103"
 
BUBBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15th, 2008
Location: AZ, S.East corner/Western WA.
Posts: 4,606
My Mood: My Mood
BUBBIE has a spectacular aura aboutBUBBIE has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

CAREFULLY jump start it...IF hooking another small good battery starts it Right up...... BATTERY..

That would be My bet on the problem as you said the voltage drops off to Nothing when you tried starting and checked battery......

signed....BUBBIE
__________________
*************************
Quite Often I am Right so Forgive me when I'm WRONG!!!.......
BUBBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM     #6
Account Removed
Ride: 2009 Dyna Low
 
Join Date: Aug 16th, 2009
Posts: 7,235
Hoople will become famous soon enoughHoople will become famous soon enough
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

Quote: Originally Posted by mc2 View Post

Battery is at 12.8 v, and if I turn ign. sw. to Accessory there are 12v there,
"there" as in at the switch?
Where is the important point. You never said exactly where.

Your meter should be directly at the battery posts.
Hoople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM     #7
Contributor
Ride: 2007 Streetbob
 
Jack Klarich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 25th, 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 16,400
My Mood: My Mood
Jack Klarich has a spectacular aura aboutJack Klarich has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

Check the connection at the starter under the rubber boot, you are in a high humidity are you may have a loose or badly corroded connection, check the ground near the starter also, feel the cables are they heating up?
__________________
CAPITAL JACK( Nuff Said, We're Burnin Daylight, Let's Ride)
Jack Klarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM     #8
mc2
Contributor
Ride: 2008 Fat Boy Anniversary Model
 
Join Date: Jun 24th, 2009
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 211
mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoople View Post
"there" as in at the switch?
Where is the important point. You never said exactly where.

Your meter should be directly at the battery posts.
I do appreciate all the responses. Thanks.
Ok, went through the same checks again this morning.
The three tangs off the bottom of the Ign Sw: Acc., Power, Ign.
(I have had readings of 12.8 volts directly off the battery).

With switch off: 10+ volts to Power tang
Switch at Acc: 10+ volts to Power and Acc tangs
Switch to Ign:
1. At times it will go normal (lighting up insturments and headlight) with 10+ volts, but as soon as I hit the start button, it clicks and everything drops to 0.4 v
2. Most times when turning switch to Ign the insturment (mileage indicator) will flash on briefly, then all is at 0.4 v. (power, acc, ign tangs and battery)

No jumper cables & have not found substitute, but then would need to find and hand carry a battery back to the bike. Very difficult to get a local to remove his battery!
Nor found something for a load test yet.
I have not been able to remove the ground from the starter (the green wire on the forward side). It's a tough location to reach and appears to need a compression to release it, requiring a specail tool as is, or removing the oil tank!

Checked continuity again from the tangs to the inside of the switch where the sliders make contact and find continuity on all three.
But in the mystery of electrics, or unknown design, the contact may be just enough for the continuity and that is all.
When the ign switch is turned on there is a heavy draw off the battery to a direct ground (??)

The switch does seem suspect, and the shops say they have replaced them because they have failed from excessive vibration (and I've certianly gone through some severe vibrations). But that leads me to assume that between the tang on the outside of the switch and the slider contact on the inside, the connection is not a solid one piece unit within the the plastic mold for the switch.
And all the other evidence is confusing to me!

The Tech at the Singapore shop was going to study this and I will talk with him on Monday, and couldn't just sit the weekend without throwing this into the forum.
I'm sure it's something very simple, but as often, it's difficult to reach that moment of clarity!

Thanks again for the responses and leads.

Last edited by mc2; Oct 13th, 2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
mc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2012, 10:55 PM     #9
Community Guru
Ride: 05 Road King Police
 
lorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 10th, 2010
Location: Richmond Tx/Margarita Island
Posts: 2,377
My Mood: My Mood
lorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

Quote: Originally Posted by mc2 View Post
I do appreciate all the responses. Thanks.
Ok, went through the same checks again this morning.
The three tangs off the bottom of the Ign Sw: Acc., Power, Ign.
(I have had readings of 12.8 volts directly off the battery).

With switch off: 10+ volts to Power tang
Switch at Acc: 10+ volts to Power and Acc tangs
Switch to Ign:
1. At times it will go normal (lighting up insturments and headlight) with 10+ volts, but as soon as I hit the start button, it clicks and everything drops to 0.4 v
2. Most times when turning switch to Ign the insturment (mileage indicator) will flash on briefly, then all is at 0.4 v. (power, acc, ign tangs and battery)

No jumper cables & have not found substitute, but then would need to find and hand carry a battery back to the bike. Very difficult to get a local to remove his battery!
Nor found something for a load test yet.
I have not been able to remove the ground from the starter (the green wire on the forward side). It's a tough location to reach and appears to need a compression to release it, requiring a specail tool as is, or removing the oil tank!

Checked continuity again from the tangs to the inside of the switch where the sliders make contact and find continuity on all three.
But in the mystery of electrics, or unknown design, the contact may be just enough for the continuity and that is all.
When the ign switch is turned on there is a heavy draw off the battery to a direct ground (??)

The switch does seem suspect, and the shops say they have replaced them because they have failed from excessive vibration (and I've certianly gone through some severe vibrations). But that leads me to assume that between the tang on the outside of the switch and the slider contact on the inside, the connection is not a solid one piece unit within the the plastic mold for the switch.
And all the other evidence is confusing to me!

The Tech at the Singapore shop was going to study this and I will talk with him on Monday, and couldn't just sit the weekend without throwing this into the forum.
I'm sure it's something very simple, but as often, it's difficult to reach that moment of clarity!

Thanks again for the responses and leads.

i am guessing that you have a VOM to check the voltage? or do you have a digital dash? as far as a load test a light bulb from any lamp will work (not the best but will give and idea in a pinch) the higher the wattage the better.

sounds like to live somewhere where i would like to..
__________________
friends don't let friends ride stock
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM     #10
Moderators
Ride: 2003 Road King
 
Bodeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 12th, 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,742
My Mood: My Mood
Bodeen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ignition Switch Failure??

As Hoople suggested. Try all the measurements you have done except take the measurements at the battery posts. If you are dropping to 10V with the switch on and your headlights and all are working correctly, you do not have enough voltage to get the starter to do much at all.
__________________
Bodeen
Please stop by the "self help section" for maintenance tips, diagnostic codes and much more.
click me!>>Self Help Information and Tips<< click me!
Bodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No voltage at ignition switch - no lights when switch is on Aeonje Electrical 5 Dec 25th, 2009 11:33 AM
Intermittent Failure of Starter/Neutral Switch ashark Touring Models 5 May 26th, 2009 06:44 AM
Ignition switch vs ON OFF switch robermv32 Softail Models 6 Apr 23rd, 2009 05:42 PM
Thermal Intermittant Ignition Failure NEWHD74FAN Electrical 2 Apr 19th, 2009 10:17 AM
Ignition Switch skibo Electrical 5 Jan 15th, 2008 09:06 AM