Harley Davidson Forums

Loading


Hello

Guest

Welcome to the harley davidson forum. Join our discussion today for FREE!

CREATE ACCOUNT

Membership Benefits

Get your questions answered by harley davidson community gurus and industry experts. Exchange your experience with another members. Access full features forum. Get a members discounts for your harley parts & accessories.

Changing exhaust

Dyna Models

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM     #1
Community Star
Ride: 2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
 
Irish Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 26th, 2008
Location: Farthest south in NJ
Posts: 451
My Mood: My Mood
Irish Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing exhaust

I looked in the self help section but I did not see anything on changing exhaust. I want to change out my short shots for long shots. I had them done at my Harley dealer before, but I would like to do it myself this time to save a few bucks. Is it very difficult or should I just let Harley do it?? Any step by step tips I should take?..I figure I can do it for around $450 vs $600+ at the dealer.
__________________
2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
Suede Green Pearl and Vivid Black
Irish Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM     #2
Community Star
Ride: 2009 Heritage Softail Classic
 
KingHeritage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21st, 2008
Location: Cedarbrook,N.J.
Posts: 500
My Mood: My Mood
KingHeritage is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

I installed the V+H True Duals on my Heritage.Thats about as hard an exhaust there is to install,but it wasn't that bad,just time consuming.If I were you,I would install them myself.But then I try to install everything I can without using the dealer.It seems you're not to far from me.Im in Cedarbrook in Winslow Twp.Lets try to get together this spring>
__________________
Never make someone a priority when they only see you as an option!
KingHeritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:57 AM     #3
Moderators
Ride: '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
 
TQuentin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 4th, 2008
Location: Summerwood in Humble, TX
Posts: 4,301
TQuentin1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing exhaust

Quote: Originally Posted by Irish Hog View Post
I looked in the self help section but I did not see anything on changing exhaust. I want to change out my short shots for long shots. I had them done at my Harley dealer before, but I would like to do it myself this time to save a few bucks. Is it very difficult or should I just let Harley do it?? Any step by step tips I should take?..I figure I can do it for around $450 vs $600+ at the dealer.
Here is some info about various exhaust options. Not a how to, but rather a what.

Harley Exhaust Comparison - Harley Davidson Community (Harley Exhaust Comparison)

and here is a bunch of stats:

Comparing Exhaust Systems HP Figures - Harley Davidson Community (Comparing Exhaust Systems & HP Figures)

Now for my own "quick and dirty" on changing the exhaust.

Obviously, you have to pick a replacement that is made (contoured) for your bike (engine, year, model).

Look at the stuff you have to put back on, and hold it close to where it is gonna go to make sure it looks like it is gonna fit.

With the engine/exhaust no hotter than "nice and warm", look over the entire exhaust system to see how it is put together. Where is it secured to the bike. How many places (heads, brackets or standoffs with ring clamps). Are the pipes tied together? Does it look like you have to take off the foot peg and even the brake pedal (probably not)?

Take off any heat shield (usually large hose worm-type clamps). Unscrew them until the end is free and then when all are loose, pull the shield straight away from the pipe.

Now put some rags to catch the excess, and liberally spray the flange nuts holding the exhaust ring clamps to the heads with penetrating oil. Let it sit for about 10 min. and do it again.

While that is penetrating, loosen all the clamps you can find holding the pipes to the bike. I don't think you have them, but also loosen any torco clamps on the pipes (used with slip-ons or pipes with joints/unions).

Get as many extensions as you need to get a 1/4" drive deep socket on the flange nuts on the front pipe and take them off. I like to loosen them a little each until the flange is loose, and then just take them off.

You may be able to get the front pipe off now. If not yet, loosen the flange nuts on the rear pipe, and get that pipe out of the way. Remove the front pipe.

Using a small flat blade screw driver, remove the crush gaskets from the heads. Throw those away. Replace them with what came with the new pipes (ha!) or the new ones you bought from HD or someone else. I like the gray/silver ones that look like lead with wire mesh embedded in them. I use a popsicle stick working around in a circular pattern until the gaskets are completely seated.

Put the new pipes in place to see where they are gonna go. Figure out whether it is easier to mount the front first, or the rear first. Mount the pipes "wiggling" them as you tighten the flange nuts (alternating a turn on top and then on bottom once snug) until you can tell that the pipe is in place. Mount the other pipe.

Secure the pipes with the clamps that came with the new set (ha!) or the old ones. Secure the pipes to each other if there is a support bar for that. Put on any heat shields.

Fire up the engine and see if there are any leaks. I think those are one piece pipes for front and rear so any leaks should be at the heads. If no leaks, turn the engine off and then clean the pipes once they are cool enough to do so.

Ride over to your hang out and show off to your buds! Remember to say, "no, I did it myself".

TQ
__________________

Please stop by the "The Self-Help pages."
>>Self-Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community Self-Help Threads Information<< click me!
TQuentin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM     #4
Wise Member
Ride: 0
 
Join Date: Jun 21st, 2007
Posts: 26,212
My Mood: My Mood
glider is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing exhaust

The only thing I would add is to clean the handprints off the pipes before firing it up or they could burn on.

Use some Pledge of course!
glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM     #5
Community Star
Ride: 2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
 
Irish Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 26th, 2008
Location: Farthest south in NJ
Posts: 451
My Mood: My Mood
Irish Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

Quote: Originally Posted by TQuentin1 View Post
Here is some info about various exhaust options. Not a how to, but rather a what.

Harley Exhaust Comparison - Harley Davidson Community (Harley Exhaust Comparison)

and here is a bunch of stats:

Comparing Exhaust Systems HP Figures - Harley Davidson Community (Comparing Exhaust Systems & HP Figures)

Now for my own "quick and dirty" on changing the exhaust.

Obviously, you have to pick a replacement that is made (contoured) for your bike (engine, year, model).

Look at the stuff you have to put back on, and hold it close to where it is gonna go to make sure it looks like it is gonna fit.

With the engine/exhaust no hotter than "nice and warm", look over the entire exhaust system to see how it is put together. Where is it secured to the bike. How many places (heads, brackets or standoffs with ring clamps). Are the pipes tied together? Does it look like you have to take off the foot peg and even the brake pedal (probably not)?

Take off any heat shield (usually large hose worm-type clamps). Unscrew them until the end is free and then when all are loose, pull the shield straight away from the pipe.

Now put some rags to catch the excess, and liberally spray the flange nuts holding the exhaust ring clamps to the heads with penetrating oil. Let it sit for about 10 min. and do it again.

While that is penetrating, loosen all the clamps you can find holding the pipes to the bike. I don't think you have them, but also loosen any torco clamps on the pipes (used with slip-ons or pipes with joints/unions).

Get as many extensions as you need to get a 1/4" drive deep socket on the flange nuts on the front pipe and take them off. I like to loosen them a little each until the flange is loose, and then just take them off.

You may be able to get the front pipe off now. If not yet, loosen the flange nuts on the rear pipe, and get that pipe out of the way. Remove the front pipe.

Using a small flat blade screw driver, remove the crush gaskets from the heads. Throw those away. Replace them with what came with the new pipes (ha!) or the new ones you bought from HD or someone else. I like the gray/silver ones that look like lead with wire mesh embedded in them. I use a popsicle stick working around in a circular pattern until the gaskets are completely seated.

Put the new pipes in place to see where they are gonna go. Figure out whether it is easier to mount the front first, or the rear first. Mount the pipes "wiggling" them as you tighten the flange nuts (alternating a turn on top and then on bottom once snug) until you can tell that the pipe is in place. Mount the other pipe.

Secure the pipes with the clamps that came with the new set (ha!) or the old ones. Secure the pipes to each other if there is a support bar for that. Put on any heat shields.

Fire up the engine and see if there are any leaks. I think those are one piece pipes for front and rear so any leaks should be at the heads. If no leaks, turn the engine off and then clean the pipes once they are cool enough to do so.

Ride over to your hang out and show off to your buds! Remember to say, "no, I did it myself".

TQ
Good advise, thanks for your time. I am going to print this..Like I said I am going with the Vance and Hines Longshots, It just looks like there is something missing with the short shots I have now, the longshots will fill in the gap and look nice along the sway arm.

I have always done my own work on my vehicles, but I get a little nerveous when it comes to the bike. I am also getting chrome forks done. I am going to have the dealer do them, I don't think that replacing front forks is as simple as changing exhaust, or is it??.

This is the look I am getting closer to..

 
__________________
2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
Suede Green Pearl and Vivid Black
Irish Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM     #6
Play The Throttle
Ride: 07 Wide Glide
 
Spade5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 26th, 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 228
Spade5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

I am curious. Other than wanting a different look, what do you think about the short shots. I seem to remember another thread that said they were too loud and to get the quiet baffles. I have never actually seen/heard them on a bike that was running so I was wondering what you thought.
__________________
My bike is stock - I always wear a helmet - I ride because I love it and you never know how many summers you have left.
Spade5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM     #7
Moderators
Ride: '11 FLSTC (Heritage Softail Classic)
 
TQuentin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 4th, 2008
Location: Summerwood in Humble, TX
Posts: 4,301
TQuentin1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Changing exhaust

Beauty! If your controls are as far forward as the bike in the video, no problem! Swappin out the pipes should be a piece of cake. I do like Gliders suggestion to clean the pipes well BEFORE firing them up after you do the swap.

On the the front end, nah! Just as easy on that bike. If I have not suggested this already, pm Gary12850 and get the HD Factory Service manual for your year and model. I assume you are talking about chromed lower forks. Read this:

Fork Seal Replacement - Harley Davidson Community (Fork Seal Replacement)

and watch this:

Rebuilding Front Forks - Harley Davidson Community (Rebuilding Front Forks)

Here is similar on a Sporty (close enough!!):

Chroming A Sportster Front End - Harley Davidson Community (Chroming A Sportster Front End)

When you do all this and tell your buds, they will say, "I don't believe you!".

Just say, "Yep. It's so easy, even a girl can do it! Ya just gotta 'git 'er done!'"


TQ
__________________

Please stop by the "The Self-Help pages."
>>Self-Help Information and Tips - Harley Davidson Community Self-Help Threads Information<< click me!
TQuentin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM     #8
Community Star
Ride: 2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
 
Irish Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 26th, 2008
Location: Farthest south in NJ
Posts: 451
My Mood: My Mood
Irish Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

Quote: Originally Posted by Spade5 View Post
I am curious. Other than wanting a different look, what do you think about the short shots. I seem to remember another thread that said they were too loud and to get the quiet baffles. I have never actually seen/heard them on a bike that was running so I was wondering what you thought.
It is hard for me to define loud becasue I like pipes loud. They do not sound overly loud to me, but that's me. I think they have a great sound.
__________________
2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
Suede Green Pearl and Vivid Black
Irish Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM     #9
Community Star
Ride: 2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
 
Irish Hog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 26th, 2008
Location: Farthest south in NJ
Posts: 451
My Mood: My Mood
Irish Hog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

Quote: Originally Posted by TQuentin1 View Post
Beauty! If your controls are as far forward as the bike in the video, no problem! Swappin out the pipes should be a piece of cake. I do like Gliders suggestion to clean the pipes well BEFORE firing them up after you do the swap.

On the the front end, nah! Just as easy on that bike. If I have not suggested this already, pm Gary12850 and get the HD Factory Service manual for your year and model. I assume you are talking about chromed lower forks. Read this:

Fork Seal Replacement - Harley Davidson Community (Fork Seal Replacement)

and watch this:

Rebuilding Front Forks - Harley Davidson Community (Rebuilding Front Forks)

Here is similar on a Sporty (close enough!!):

Chroming A Sportster Front End - Harley Davidson Community (Chroming A Sportster Front End)

When you do all this and tell your buds, they will say, "I don't believe you!".

Just say, "Yep. It's so easy, even a girl can do it! Ya just gotta 'git 'er done!'"


TQ
Good stuff here. You Mods do a great job!!.

I do belive that I will do the lower forks myself.

I also have +3" on the forward controlls. I have plenty of room.

Thanks again for the time to post this. This has been a big help.
__________________
2000 FLHRCI Road King Classic
Suede Green Pearl and Vivid Black
Irish Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:27 PM     #10
New Family
 
Join Date: Dec 26th, 2008
Posts: 5
bradld is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing exhaust

Exhaust is easy, just make sure you have some patience.


Quote: Originally Posted by Irish Hog View Post
I looked in the self help section but I did not see anything on changing exhaust. I want to change out my short shots for long shots. I had them done at my Harley dealer before, but I would like to do it myself this time to save a few bucks. Is it very difficult or should I just let Harley do it?? Any step by step tips I should take?..I figure I can do it for around $450 vs $600+ at the dealer.
bradld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Your Oil smketr Members Tips For Easy Maintenance 16 Jul 15th, 2014 04:26 PM
Changing the Look rklew Touring Models 16 Apr 25th, 2010 03:03 PM
2006 883 Exhaust and a 1200 Exhaust TheDoc2002 Sportster Models 2 Mar 3rd, 2010 11:40 AM
Oil Changing glider. Oil Related Tips 2 Sep 18th, 2009 09:59 PM
changing oil softail00 Oil 1 Jul 29th, 2009 08:33 PM